Thread: Thinking about trading/selling my SIG 556.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Thinking about trading/selling my SIG 556.

I'm thinking about trading my SIG 556 (actually thinking of putting it on consignment, so I can buy a high-end 1911). I almost never shoot it since subsonic ammo isn't recommended. Would use a nice 1911 a lot more.

I have about $2500 in the rifle (Samson rails, Samson BUIS, Eotech 557, and GG&G bipod). Less than 1000 rounds through the rifle. What would be a fair price for a consignment sale?

Would like to use the funds toward a Les Baer, Wilson, or Nighthawk 1911. Any recommendations from those three?
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Would not trade or sell my 556 for anything.Love the thing.found the right hand loads for it and find it a keeper.
    I know i am steering you in the wrong direction but just my 2 cents.I have too much money in mine to sell it anyway.
    But if I were to get rid of it for anything it would be a Wilson.

I do like the rifle, but never get a chance to shoot it. In fact, I haven't fired it since I met some of the other gunsnet guys in Pennsylvania in early 2010. I would shoot a nicer 1911 a lot.

Virtually all my rifle shooting is subsonic/suppressed, so the SIG 556 just doesn't get a lot of use. Looking for a way to buy a high-end 1911 without stretching the budget.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

You will most likely have difficulty finding the specific buyer that wants that configuration and is willing to the price you think fair. I would restore the gun to factory configuration and part out the add-ons. I just don't think you will do as well. FYI i sold my Sig 556 with Troy Ind rail for $1100 local.

Maybe I should just be patient and buy a nicer 1911 later.

Here are my thoughts on it. I bought mine brand new in June for under 1K, and all of the accessories are worth about half what you paid for them when included with the rifle (few will be willing to pay their full value when they can buy a different rifle and add them later themselves for the same total cost). I'd say maybe a fair price for it at my location would be $800 + 50% to 75% the value of the accessories, and even then it might take a long time to move.

If you like the rifle, I'd say hold on to it, and save up for a nicer 1911.

Maybe instead of one of the high-end gunsmith pistols, I'll just pick up a SIG 1911 with a threaded barrel. Might use it more since I like shooting suppressed. Would go nicely with the Silencerco Osprey. The SIG is about 1/3 the price too.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Those are really nice and the thing is - as you no doubt realize, when you put that much into one you generally don't get the money back if you sell....

Stupid question - can't you shoot standard ammo with a supressor? I know it's not super quiet but it does tone it down to something like a standard non-supressed .22LR right?

No range to shoot at?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

You can shoot standard ammo suppressed, and yes it's quieter than normal (not quite unsuppressed .22, but close). The reason it doesn't get much use is because my most convenient range is pistol ammo only (but they allow me to shoot subsonic rifle ammo). I have to drive further and deal with a wait at a crowded range to fire standard rifle ammo.

Definitely keeping it anyway now.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Time to sell it and your house and move to some land where you can have your own range...

I know, not alway's feasible... but it usually is if you really want to do it.

I've taken all kind of flak from family and friends who think I'm crazy for moving to Miss in the stix... but it makes me happy so they can just deal with it My wife is OK with it and I think will really like it once we get settled in - she like it before - living in the country - and that's the only person's opinion that concerns me about this.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

I was thinking about selling my SIG 556 also, until I took it out and rapid fired a mag thru it. The rifle reminded me of the SAW's I see the military using, so I decided to hang on to it. I traded an AK instead. FYI, I have the original "gill guard" model.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

nfa- if you have a specific early model, there resale value has grown over the years...as long as you don't have a canted rail or any of the other problems anymore that plagued the early years (assuming you sent it back to the factory to get fixed) FWIW.....
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Maybe I should just be patient and buy a nicer 1911 later.
    Ah yes THIS is the approach. Besides don't you have 5, 1911's already? Save up, keep the 556. My 2 cents.

Hah, found it. Yes you already have a bunch of nice 1911's. Keep the 556 already!!!!
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-01-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Ah yes THIS is the approach. Besides don't you have 5, 1911's already? Save up, keep the 556. My 2 cents.

Hah, found it. Yes you already have a bunch of nice 1911's. Keep the 556 already!!!!
    BUSTED!
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    BUSTED!
    Actually the Ed Brown is a new purchase. It's the high-end 1911 I ended up getting that I was thinking about selling the Sig to fund.