Thread: Talk me into this...

Talk me into this...

Decent condition Winchester post 64 Model 70 with 24 inch barrel and walnut stock in 25-06 cal, now the kicker....it has a mounted Leupold VX-II 4x12 AO scope. All for $450. I believe the scope alone is worth upwards of $250 used if not more although what is holding me back I really have no need for a 25-06. I've thought about buying it, putting the scope on my Weatherby 308 and ditching the Winchester but wonder what that would bring by itself and if it would really make this worthwhile.

same model in 30-06 sells for $400-450ish around here.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Decent condition Winchester post 64 Model 70 with 24 inch barrel and walnut stock in 25-06 cal, now the kicker....it has a mounted Leupold VX-II 4x12 AO scope. All for $450. I believe the scope alone is worth upwards of $250 used if not more although what is holding me back I really have no need for a 25-06. I've thought about buying it, putting the scope on my Weatherby 308 and ditching the Winchester but wonder what that would bring by itself and if it would really make this worthwhile.
    So, you really need me to talk you into this? And you cal yourself a "gun guy"? LOL, Jackassery aside, I'd do it. All the older made in the US Winchesters will do nothing but go up in value PLUS .25-06 is a fun round to reload and very flat shooting. If it was dinged up I wuld consider refinishing it and reblueing it, although it may end up hurting it's value long term.... it might also help sell it.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Today I came to work and a coworker told me if all I wanted was the scope off the rifle he'd trade me a Ruger MK2 gov't with extra mag and mounted Leupold scope for the Model 70 alone. This sounds alot more appealing to me. So if this deal works through I'd be spending $475 for a Mk2 gov't, Leupold pistol scope (he's thinking it's a 2X) and 4x12 Leupold which doesn't sound that bad.

That thing is a death ray. I'd be on it.

Hopefully it will still be there in the morning, they are closed today so only time will tell...

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Next door niegbor has a 25-06 he deer hunts with and swears by the round.

Made the deal today, this is what I ended up for $455 out the door. I got a Leupold Vari-X IIc 4x12 AO scope, 10 inch bull barrel Ruger Mk2 (221 series) with Ruger rings, 2 mags and a M8-2X Leupold pistol scope.

I'm very happy with everything I got, by time this is posted the 4x12 is setting on my Weatherby Vanguard 308 and looking good The 10 inch bull barrel is heavy but the scope works well on it and it should be a tack driver.

Attached Images Attached Images

awesome long barrel Mk2.....great shooting pistols!

Sounds like you did very well. Love that Ruger...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

That's a hellava deal - congrats!

Range report!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~