Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems Getting On Site?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Problems Getting On Site?

Has anyone been having trouble getting on the site? It has been hit or miss for me since before New Years, mostly miss.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

There was an issue back on 12-28-11 but Alex has fixed that problem. Are you still having an access problem today?

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

I am at work and am able to get on. Yesterday I could get on from work but I couldn't get on from home. I think I have been able to access the site from home once in the last 10 days or so.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Recon has been trying to get on for a couple of weeks and gets a long pause to load then nothing. He is locked out.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Angry

I cannot access this site from my or my wifes computer at home........at office i have had no problems......?????????????????
    Dan

I verified that I can no longer access from my computer at home. I need to try my wife's computer. Right now I can only access from my work computer.

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    No problems here, and for some reason when there is a site problem, I am the first to find out by not being able to get in!!

Try again..
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Alex, PM sent.
    Dan

Same here. Site times out when logging in from home, but I can get on at work just fine.

I\'m actually accessing this page through a proxy server right now. But if I enter \"gunsnet.net\" directly in the address bar it errors out, says \"The server at www.gunsnet.net is taking too long to respond.\"
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

More info: It looks like it might be a DNS issue.

Both my local DNS provider and Google DNS show the IP address for \"gunsnet.net\" to be: 71.42.211.58

But when I put that IP address in through a proxy server, it brings me to a mail server login page???
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

Both my local DNS provider and Google DNS show the IP address for \"gunsnet.net\" to be: 71.42.211.58

But when I put that IP address in through a proxy server, it brings me to a mail server login page???
    What is a DNS provider?

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    What is a DNS provider?
    I though DNS was Denial of Service but this must be something different.

Ahhhh Domain Naming System
    Last edited by Warthogg; 01-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

ltorlo64, I suggest you send a PM to Alex (gunsnetadmin). He should be able to help you get reconnected.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    ltorlo64, I suggest you send a PM to Alex (gunsnetadmin). He should be able to help you get reconnected.

Steve
    Steve, Thanks for the tip. I sent him a PM on Facebook but I don't know how often, if at all he checks there. I didn't even think about sending a PM from work until you mentioned it. It is off so I will see what magic he can conjure up!

NRA Endowment Member

Its not a DNS issue on our end or at Time Warner's end here in S.A... the page you are getting is correct because 71.42.211.58 is the correct IP to the server but not to the gunsnet forum. The page you got to was a redirect I created for paid (?) members to get a gunsnet email account. If you were to put the correct subdirectory and page to access after the IP, you would get to the forum but thats not something I'm giving out.

I have applied security changes but I dont think that would cause IP's to be blocked. I would have that listed in a log file that gets appended to when a ip is blocked.

first try this...
    go to a command prompt as an administrator and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

try gunsnet.net...

If not.....

Get me the following info:
    www.whatismyip.com - get me your IP address.

if you can get to a command prompt in Windows (I'm assuming thats what you're using) and type:
    traceroute gunsnet.net
    nslookup gunsnet.net

give me that output.

then do this:
    notepad %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts

Look in there for anything that has a IP address and gunsnet.net in there.. if so, delete that entry.
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    will that work for Recon too? If it will I'll copy and send that to him.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I already PM'd him.
    -=Alex=-

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnetadmin View Post
    Its not a DNS issue on our end or at Time Warner's end here in S.A... the page you are getting is correct because 71.42.211.58 is the correct IP to the server but not to the gunsnet forum.
    Yeah, I just confirmed, the DNS here at work points to the same IP address. So that can't be the problem.

I'm going to try to login at home by typing in: http://www.gunsnet.net/forum.php and see if it lets me in with a full URL, instead of just the domain name, which is all I've been trying before.

If not, I'll use the proxy server and PM you my traceroute and IP info, and I'll check my HOSTS file as well.

Yeah, I just confirmed, the DNS here at work points to the same IP address. So that can't be the problem.

I'm going to try to login at home by typing in: http://www.gunsnet.net/forum.php and see if it lets me in with a full URL, instead of just the domain name, which is all I've been trying before.

If not, I'll use the proxy server and PM you my traceroute and IP info, and I'll check my HOSTS file as well.
    dont forget to try ipconfig /flushdns on your machine at home.

if that doesnt fix it, go thru my post above.
    -=Alex=-

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast