Thread: Ammo Question

Ammo Question

So I just bought a Century AK-47 and I have seen many different types and prices on ammo. If I am just going to the range to shoot around for fun does it matter what type of ammo I use? Will it do any damage to my gun if I use the cheap stuff? Thanks for your help

Welcome to the addiction and welcome aboard!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of Century rifle did you pick up?

Any of the stuff available will work. If you're just plinking around, 122-123 gr FMJ from Wolf, Tula Ammo, Golden Tiger, Brown Bear, Uly, or the American stuff from Federal, Winchester, or American Eagle will work. If you're looking for inexpensive, stick with the steel cased Russian stuff like the first ones I mentioned above. The American stuff is brass cased and is a tad more expensive. All of them are good for your rifle.

You can also use HP, as well as the soft point stuff. With the latter, just make sure your rifle will feed it. Most of the time it will, but it pays to find out. Be careful with the 154gr stuff, the rifle was designed with the smaller bullet weight in mind, and the heavier stuff can beat up your rifle, so watch out.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Like said earlier, your rifle should shoot any manufacturer of 7.62x39, but remember that the AK was designed to use FMJ (Full Metal Jacket). There have been some members that have had problems feeding hollow point or soft point. Hard to believe that little hole in the tip of the round could cause feed issues, but it changes the shape of the bullet just enough that in some rifles it doesn't feed reliably.

Also, Yugo is great inexpensive ammo, but mildly corrosive. If you use it just remember to thoroughly hose down every place gas can get into. Many people forget to wash out the inside of the gas block and I have seen some that show the effects of corrosive stuff. I have also seen a Poly Tech Legend, a top of the line AK variant that was ruined because the owner shot corrosive and didn't wash the innards thoroughly. His gas tube was like a heavy grit sand paper inside!

Feel free to ask questions, don't know your status, but we were all new to this at some time!

I love this STUFF!

When I shoot corrosive, at the range I bring a bottle of either Windex with ammonia, or a bottle of water with a couple of ounces of ammonia mixed in. Then hose it down with WD-40. It does get some strange looks at the range, but...

When I get home, first I again wash the whole rifle down inside with hot water, and then hose it off with WD-40 which is Water Displacement fluid. I then clean everything inside with Hoppes 9 that I also spike with ammonia.

I keep a half gallon bottle of ammonia with my clean up stuff. It is also good when mixed with the Hoppes 9 for copper removal during barrel cleaning. The only thing to remember is that with chrome lined barrels, never leave ammonia in the barrel for more than a few minutes as it can damage the chrome.

Yes it is really strange to take a firearm that will rust badly if it gets wet and not dried and oiled quickly, and intentionally drown it, but to date I have never had a rust problem.

Going to have to look into that USGI cleaner!

Oh, and thanks for the kind words!!

Figured I would post up some pics. I have another question when I bought the gun it came with an insight mini red dot sight. Can anyone help me on how to attach it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by imanaknut; 01-07-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added photo of a nice rifle!!!!

Nice Yugo packm!!!

To add a red dot, you can either replace the upper handguard with one with a rail on it, or replace the receiver cover, again one with a rail with it. About the only issue with a railed receiver cover is the latch that the Yugo has. Don't know how it would affect a replacement.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_id=421

Quote Originally Posted by packm View Post
    Figured I would post up some pics. I have another question when I bought the gun it came with an insight mini red dot sight. Can anyone help me on how to attach it.

I checked out that site but I how do I know if it will fit my sight. I have an Insight sight

When cleaning the gun after shooting corrosive ammo don't forget to remove the flash hider or slant comp abd clean that area.

I didn't when shooting the real stuff back in the late 80s.
    My whole gun is fine but the end of the muzzle is all pitted from the corrosion.

All I ever used was break free oil, a shotgun brush for the gas tube, and when the receiver got too dirty and full of the little red rings from the primer sealant I used Joy dish soap and boiling hot water (because it dries quickly).

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by packm View Post
    I checked out that site but I how do I know if it will fit my sight. I have an Insight sight
    There's an outfit I see advertised in Dillons Blue Press that is basically a mini section of 1913 rail that replaces the rear site. Here it is, I had to go track down an old copy of the Blue Press to find it. That might work for what you're looking for.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.