Thread: 308 ak build

308 ak build

look for info on 308 ak cal build parts needed soures for parts and any diagrams
    thanks graybush1

For .308 AK parts you could go to Classic Arms & buy the Vepr or Saiga .308 then do a re-build. Their Saiga .308 is only $499.

http://www.classicarms.us/semi-auto%20rifles.htm

I used the Saiga .308 as a pattern to build a Yugo .308 from mostly Yugo M70 parts. I used the Yugo M70 trunnion and modified it to match the Saiga .308 trunnion. I re-chambered the M70 barrel to .308. The headspace was perfect when I re-installed the trunnion, because when I chambered the barrel I ensured it would match up with the Yugo trunnion.

I did this by using a 6 inch machinist ruler, and did a heck of a lot of measuring and re-measuring.

I am using a 80% receiver for the build.

I have yet to shoot the AK. My house and shop were sold before I completed the .308 AK, and it is now still sitting in storage for over a year and will do so for quite some time. I am still hunting for land that measures up to what I need.

also interested in a build like this

I have also showed some interest in a build like this but slightly different. I was hoping to kits part an ak. barrel it 7.62 but the receiver would need to be slightly larger than reg x39 or NATO. I want to make a 7.62x54r. Much like an svd. Only this one would end up much less than buying and also a little more special that I put one together.
    any thoughts?
    this would end up my second gun as well as my second ak to the century wasr 10/63 love the many different looks of Kalashnikov rifles compared to the norm of ars/m4s. Can't stop at one especially when my original hopes were shot down by my aks underfolder design. Oh well. All the more reason to buy another =)

I have purchased a Minigun Gatling barrel chambered for 7.62x51 NATO. I will have to turn it down to fit the trunnion on my 1963 Romanian AK-47 And I will have to turn it down for the gas block, sights, etc. But I have a lathe that will take this barrel. I will be starting with a "flat" and will move the trigger back if need be to fit the longer magazine. I will be using a metric magazine from an FNFAL. The bolt will take only 34 th opening up of the base.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Welcome to the board guys way to jump right in! Keep us posted on the progress with progress pics, questions etc. I'm looking forward to seeing it move forward.

As stated above, you don't modify the FCG, you modify the front trunnion. I copied the modifications on my trunnion from the Saiga .308 Winchester front trunnion.

After laying out the metal to be removed on the trunnion, you can drill out most of the metal. Then you use the Dremel to remove the remainder.

You open up the bolt face on the lathe, which is very easy. I had to modify the angle on the face of the extractor so it would slip around the base of the cartridge, which was also very easy.

I never got to the point of fixing a front mount for the magazine, as I sold my house and shop. Everything is in storage at this time.

on mine it will be easier to just turn the barrel down to 23mm since the barrel I am using is a blank, chambered to 7.62x51.