Thread: Does any one have exp. with the rubber buffer ment to reduce wear.

Does any one have exp. with the rubber buffer ment to reduce wear.

I just installed one on my M10 AK and it seemed to want to stick every now and then when i manually slid the bolt back and forth. Does anyone know of any problems with them? Also got my slide fire stock today. Haven't had chance to try it out yet, maybe this weekend. It was a easy install, took about 15 min. I just hope it holds up every thing is made of plastic. We'll see.
    Last edited by Norm; 01-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Welcome!
    What brand is your buffer?
    I have Blackjack Buffers in all my AKs and PSL.
    No problems to date.

...if you're manually cycling it can seem to "stick" occasionally.
    If you pull back and let go it shouldn't as much or at all.
    Firing / break-in should correct all that.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by videodon; 01-12-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added info
    видеодон

I believe its a black jack but not sure got it from classic arms. it may be fine i haven't fired it with it yet

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

You should be good to go.
    Shoot the heck out of it!
    видеодон

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

I have Blackjack buffers in all the AK variants I shoot. In fact I did some testing for Blackjack many years ago and will never fire an AK that I own without one in place.

That said, the AK was not designed for the bolt carrier to be cycled slowly by hand. You shouldn't have any problems when you cycle it as designed, under fire.

I had one on my AK74 some years ago. But someone reminded me that AK's have been around since what? 1947? and they never needed a buffer until some American company decided there was a market for them. All my AK's work fine without them!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I had one on my AK74 some years ago. But someone reminded me that AK's have been around since what? 1947? and they never needed a buffer until some American company decided there was a market for them. All my AK's work fine without them!
    True. Though the "build boom" did create a market for them as many worn and "relaxed" recoil springs. Were utilized in the builds...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    And like all those military weapons that never needed buffers, I am sure that you have a private armorer that will repair your rifle for nothing? Nice thing about having a weapon in the military, you don't pay for repairs. Unfortunately when the weapon is owned, maintained and paid for by me, the added insurance of a buffer is worth the few dollars.

The other thing I like about people who don't use buffers, when they try to sell an AK variant that has been well maintained, it is hard to hide the witness mark on the rear trunion from being battered by the bolt and carrier.

back at you.

I began to think they must be of some use after I watched my neighbor take apart a 15 year old Marlin .22lr semi-auto rifle. There was a tiny little black rubber buffer in it courtesy of Marlin. It was not something I would expect from a manufacturer. It was as old and dirty looking as every other part.

Welcome to the group, HungFire !!!

You would be surprised to find out how many firearm manufacturers install some sort of buffer as a normal part of their firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I just installed one on my M10 AK and it seemed to want to stick every now and then when i manually slid the bolt back and forth. Does anyone know of any problems with them? Also got my slide fire stock today. Haven't had chance to try it out yet, maybe this weekend. It was a easy install, took about 15 min. I just hope it holds up every thing is made of plastic. We'll see.

I use the big thick white buffers in my Kalashnikov rifles (from Buffertech). They get all beat to hell after around 1000 rounds, so obviously they are absorbing a lot of damage that would normally go into the receiver.

Contrary to what everyone says, a thick buffer DOES NOT cause cycling and feed failures (if it does, something is wrong with the RIFLE).

Concerning your bolt carrier "sticking" when you rack it - that's normal. The bolt carrier rides over the hammer and causes drag (sometimes enough to *almost* hold the bolt open). It's completely normal (and has nothing to do with the buffer anyway).

Oh by the way, welcome to Gunsnet!

You want to know anything there is to know about an AK (or AR or anything else) and talk to a lot of nice people (well, MOST of them are nice! ) you came to the right place!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Buffers

I personnally think buffers are the greatest thing to come down the pike! I had a Tiger carbine 15 or 16 years ago that I fired about 50 or 60 times without a buffer and there was a definate "imprint" of the rear of the carrier slamming the reciever. I think they will definately extend the life of any weapon with a recipricating bolt...............................