Thread: Removing BWK 92 muzzle???

Removing BWK 92 muzzle???

I have a BWK 92. It does not have a threaded barrel so the muzzle was welded on.

I was wondering if I took it to a gunsmith and get it removed, would it mess up the barrel?

I would have no problem changing the trigger just so I can get the 84Sish look.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The good news is that you can do it yourself. Usually the muzzle cover is just tack welded to the front sight. Using a dremel with a cutoff wheel, cut the weld staying on the muzzle nut side so that you don't risk damaging the front sight. You might need to use a good set of pliers getting the muzzle cover off since it might have a little rust under it keeping it stuck to the barrel.

Now the bad news. The muzzle end of the BWK-92 is cut down from the standard .55 inch diameter to .500". I do not know of anyone who makes an 84S birdcage style flash hider in the 1/2 x28 thread that you can put on that muzzle.

Also bad news, unless you are lucky enough to have them around, finding an original Norinco front sight with the cleaning rod holder, and the gas block with the bayo lug is about as easy as winning the lottery. If you do find the parts, they will not be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    The good news is that you can do it yourself. Usually the muzzle cover is just tack welded to the front sight. Using a dremel with a cutoff wheel, cut the weld staying on the muzzle nut side so that you don't risk damaging the front sight. You might need to use a good set of pliers getting the muzzle cover off since it might have a little rust under it keeping it stuck to the barrel.

Now the bad news. The muzzle end of the BWK-92 is cut down from the standard .55 inch diameter to .500". I do not know of anyone who makes an 84S birdcage style flash hider in the 1/2 x28 thread that you can put on that muzzle.

Also bad news, unless you are lucky enough to have them around, finding an original Norinco front sight with the cleaning rod holder, and the gas block with the bayo lug is about as easy as winning the lottery. If you do find the parts, they will not be cheap.

So pretty much leave it alone? Just a thought! Thanks for the help Imanaknut.

I took the muzzle thingy off my BWK-92 in hopes of finding threads. Unfortunately after finding a bare muzzle, I just cleaned it up and left it as is. Today, more than a dozen years later, it still sits in my safe with that bare unthreaded muzzle.

In honesty, if you look at many photos of AKMs, you will find most only had muzzle nuts installed. The next most common was the slant brake on the 7.62x39 AKM and the specially designed for it, the AK-74 muzzle brake on the 5.45x39s.

I do have to admit that a long time ago I got lucky and a member of this site wanted to get rid of a barrel from an 84S. First thing I did was remove the gas and sight blocks, and install them on an NHM90 in .223 that had an underfolding receiver, and the barrel still had the threads on it! Made for a really nice shooter! Still have that bare barrel just in case I ever wear out the barrel on that NHM90.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Like understating things a bit do we?

Another idea if you just want something on the end of the barrel is to measure it and see if there's enough meat to thread it for ar-15 sized brakes/hiders. There is'nt enough meat for ak threads but there might be for the ar ones. A bonus is that there is no where near a shortage of variety to choose from with the ar brakes.

If I do get the AK 74 style muzzle brake off my BWK 92, do I by law have to get another type of muzzle brake welded back on?

No. The ban expired in 2004 so unless you live in a state that bans your rights like New York and commiefornia, and possible a city or two, you can install anything you want and it can remain removable.

My quest to get the muzzle brake that was welded on my BWK-92 taken off continues. I asked around a local gunboard for a reputable gunsmith who knows his stuff about gunsmithing AKs. I was recommended a guy by many and when I brought the gun to him he told me it was impossible and the only way to remove the muzzle brake is if he sawed off the barrel at the FSB.

Gonna take it to one more guys this weekend to see what he could do.

Can you post a photo of the front of the rifle, specifically the muzzle? I would like to see how the brake was installed.

If it is obviously welded to the front sight, you can cut the welds as I described way back. If it is silver soldered to the muzzle as some are, then you would have to get the muzzle hot enough to melt the silver solder to get the brake off.

I think it is interesting that later you stated it is an AK-74 style brake, because I don't know if anyone yet makes that brake in a 1/2x28 and that a standard .550 ID brake might be just slid onto the muzzle and then tack welded to the sight.

Also, is this Romy barrel compatible with a BWK-92?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=267832209

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Can you post a photo of the front of the rifle, specifically the muzzle? I would like to see how the brake was installed.

If it is obviously welded to the front sight, you can cut the welds as I described way back. If it is silver soldered to the muzzle as some are, then you would have to get the muzzle hot enough to melt the silver solder to get the brake off.

I think it is interesting that later you stated it is an AK-74 style brake, because I don't know if anyone yet makes that brake in a 1/2x28 and that a standard .550 ID brake might be just slid onto the muzzle and then tack welded to the sight.
    I'll try to get some pics up when I have time this weekend.

Romanian barrel is not compatible with the trunion of the Norinco.

Here's pics of bottom of the muzzle and each side of the FSB.

Please tell the muzzle can be taken off!

Yes the muzzle can be taken off. The brake is just tack welded to the front sight.

Use a dremel or dremel like tool with a cut off wheel. Cut away the weld from the front sight, and then the weld on the brake itself. You should not have to cut too deep, just enough to get through the weld itself but not into the barrel.

Once the weld is thin, run a heavy screw driver through the slot in the brake to break it off by twisting it. While there is a good chance there is no thread on the barrel, turn the brake to the left as if you were tightening it because if it is a standard AK thread it would be left handed, but again I have never seen a BWK-92 with a threaded barrel.

Just thought of something else, if you are good with a hammer and chisel after dremeling the weld off, place the chisel along the front sight and against the brake to knock it off. Slide along the front sight making sure you do not angle the chisel into it but only into the brake. With the weld dremeled off, it should not take much to knock the brake off the barrel unless it is rusted on as well. Might not be a bad idea to spray into the barrel around the brake inside to try to get a rust breaker into the area.

Thanks Imakanut!

Gonna buy a dremel this weekend and see what I can do.

I woke up on Saturday morning and decided to go to Home Depot and buy a dremel set. I the proceeded to do exactly what Imanaknut said to do.

I finally got that ugly muzzle off. The rifle looks great.

Thanks for all your help! You surely know your stuff!

I have found that my dremels (yes I have more than one) are among my most important tools I have when it comes to working on firearms.

Glad to hear you got the brake off and are happy with the results!!!