Thread: Threaded Barrel Or ????

Threaded Barrel Or ????

I have bought 2 Norinco MAK90's in the last 3 weeks (wife liked mine and had to have one-to put pink furniture on ) I was wondering if the Machining "Helix" on the barrel was the threads I'm reading about? the barrel seems to have 3 steps in it, you can see the grooves left from machining, kind of looking like threads, or are the threads different? I have never seen an AK before a month ago so I don't know... Thanks.

Mike

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

There were four muzzle versions on Chinese AK variants.

Obviously one is fully threaded.

Then is a muzzle that had the threads knurled, or some process like it that damaged the threads enough to make ATF happy that no evil flash hider could be installed.

There was a standard muzzle that just was never threaded, which measures approx .550". These can be threaded to the standard 14x1mm left hand AK thread.

There was also an unthreaded, or formerly threaded that measures about .500". These can be threaded to USA standard 1/2x28.

Sounds like yours was the knurled type. I have heard of people being able to rethread them and make them usable again.

Many people think the whole barrel was threaded to some very fine thread, but that was just the final machining that didn't get the barrel that perfectly smooth that most weapon barrels are known for. They are nothing more than a rough final cut on the barrel and that is all.

Hello, This is TNAK's wife. I'm looking at some Plum furniture for my Norinco Mak90. It says it's for a stamped receiver (which mine is). Any way of knowing if it will fit my 93 model Norinco?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If the furniture is made for a European receiver, it will fit the Chinese but will have to be trimmed to fit. The Chinese receiver is thicker than the standard Euro receiver. Also, by coincidence I was just fitting a Euro hand guard to a MAK-90 and the inside rear of the lower guard had to be widened to fit around the barrel. Easy work with a dremel.

About the only issue that you can have is if the rear your receiver is the standard squared off or the modified angle cut. With the angle cut, you can still use the plum furniture, but there will be a gap between the receiver and butt-stock.