Thread: Help with new romak 991

Help with new romak 991

Hello everyone I have a new romak 991 and can't find a hole lot on modification info I now I need to make it take double stacks. But I need help on the but stock they say some are cut so I can't put the normal stock and grip on so how do I now it's cut and the muzzle nut I think they call it is welded on and may not have threads under it how would I know if it does have threads and can I grind off the weld. This is the first ak or whatever it is iv been able to look at and check out so it all looks normal to me lol I only payed 250 for it so i don't care if I have to chop into it. Any info will be a great help thanks

P. S why I want to change the stock is because it sucks if you have ever held one you would now lol

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Personally I would leave the receiver in single stack condition but purely from a collector's point of view. Since like the current WASR series, many 991s had their mag well milled open to accept standard AK mags, so having one that is original can make it a collector's piece in the future.

As for the stock, the only way to find out is to remove it. Some of the old Romanians had the rear of the receiver modified with round cut outs in an attempt to make ATF happy that they met the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment according to ATF. If you have one of the modified receivers, Ironwood Designs makes a standard butt-stock to fit it.

Easy to tell if you have the standard squared off receiver or the modified one after you remove the stock. Photo is from Ironwood Designs and shows what you hope not to find.

Go here for the full listing of stock types. http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDreceiver.html

As for opening the mag well to accept standard AK mags, the older Romanians has special front trunions as well as the special receiver. Both will need to be modified. The new WASRs used standard AKM trunions with the receiver being the only part that forces the use of single stack mags, so they are easy to modify with a dremel. Unfortunately with the narrow trunion opening, it is more work to open up the rifle to accept standard mags, usually requiring a mill.

And I do have to say, you got a great deal on a piece of history at what you paid. That rifle is testimony to how stupid a government can be, thinking that the way a firearm looks is what cause people to use them for criminal purposes.

Feel free to ask questions, and beware the AK-addiction!!!!

Great info thanks do you know about the barrel nut being welded on can it be removed

If I remember correctly they were just tack welded to the front sight. If so, just use a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut away the weld. Try to stay on the nut side of the weld to avoid damaging the sight base any more. Also don't cut too deeply to avoid getting into the barrel.

Once you have the weld cut away, sometimes you get lucky and the nut slides off. Sometimes you have to take a wrench and force it off. A lot depends on if there is rust between the nut and barrel muzzle. After cutting the weld, if the nut doesn't slide off, soak it in a penetrating oil for a while and then try again.

I don't believe any of the old Romanians had threads under the nuts. In the rare event it does, the AK/AKM uses left hand threads, so turn the nut in the "wrong" direction.

If there are no threads under the nut, you can thread the barrel to the standard 14x1mm left hand AK thread as long as the barrel diameter measures approximately .550.

Good luck.

You are a bucket of good information thanks for your help

You might want to check this thread

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...ack-WASR-10-63

Not sure if the model number is the same but check out your bolt per post #4
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

...did ya hear that 'Nut??? You're a "Bucket"!
    видеодон

I have been called worse.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I have been called worse.
    How about a wealth.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Thanks!!!