Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spaz 12

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I shopped Spas-12s for many years. Bought a Law-12, then decided the parts issue wasn't worth what I would pay for a Spas. I have never seen a FA Spas...

I honestly have no idea, I've only ever owned an ak a 1911 and a 20 gauge break action. Never been a big shotgun person. I as wondering more of the legality of the Warden taking the gun from him and if he could do anything to get it back.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If in fact it was a full auto shotgun, and for arguments let us assume it is, the gentleman who took it away from your friend did him a favor. He could have called ATF and your friend would have been introduced to Bubba and had him as a buddy for 10 years, as well as being many dollars poorer.

sounds good lol
    thanks for all the input guys. I don't think he's going to go after the Warden for it for the exact reason stated above by aknut. I just don't like people using their authority to their advantage and was wondering if this warden had done so.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    If in fact it was a full auto shotgun, and for arguments let us assume it is, the gentleman who took it away from your friend did him a favor. He could have called ATF and your friend would have been introduced to Bubba and had him as a buddy for 10 years, as well as being many dollars poorer.
    Nut would this not also apply to the GW, he now owns a stolen, f/a shotty. This guys friend can plead ignorance, if the GW knows it is f/a isn't that intent?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I would have to say yes to that. Not even a LEO can own a post 1986 as a personal weapon, let alone a stolen, unregistered one...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Nut would this not also apply to the GW, he now owns a stolen, f/a shotty. This guys friend can plead ignorance, if the GW knows it is f/a isn't that intent?
    According to ATF and rulings of the past, ignorance will not get you out of owning an ATF declared illegal firearm. In fact, according to ATF, if a semi-auto malfunctions and fires more than one round per trigger pull, even if it can be repaired back to proper factory semi condition, you are still in violation of the 1934 NFA if it isn't papered and the papers prior to the 1986 machine gun act or what ever that bull was called.

As for the game warden, I am sure if ATF went to his house, the SPAS would either not be there, or he would have some excuse pertaining to fellow law officer and the like. I don't know what it is like in Vermont, but here in Indiana the conservation officers as we call them have more police power than even our state police!

Yeah, it's same here in VT they have more power than state police.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Having been a former owner of a Franchi SPAS-12, they were not a Fully Automatic shotgun. And NEVER were... If this event actually occurred, the firearm was defective and probably had a firing pin that was stuck in the exposed position...

I had one of the beautiful skeleton stocks with the hook!

http://spas12.com/spas12intro2.htm
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I held one years ago, and I didn't care for it one bit (fixed stock).

I went for the Benelli M3 instead.....(but that's just me).
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I have always thought they were cool and wonded why they were never imported in a pump only configuration.

That said though, they wouldn't be any more effective at that point than an 870 or 590.

i'm sorry to be "that guy" but either the OP's friend is mistaken in his termanology and "full" auto to him means semi automatic, or he is lying. i am siding with the lie explanation. there is NO WAY some deputy dog, or whatever he was, is going to let some feller with an "un papered" full auto walk away. just aint going to happen , no way, no how.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I have only seen them in movies so I'm totally ignant about it. I just want to say how glad I am that I live in BFE and can test fire all my crap in seclusion. Won't help me with a slamfire if a pin breaks while firing but I can discover that I have one before firing at a public range for the first tme.

Let's hear it for BFE!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Escobert View Post
    The gun had been thoroughly cleaned and never fired when he purchased it so it's not due to dirt build up. I just asked him about how the pump action locked and he said "there's a button on the front end of the pump you push it, then move the pump to the forward position then it locks and you have full auto and vise versa for pump action"
    Unless somebody did some illegal gunsmithing on it, it is semi-auto when not a pump. Meaning one pull of the trigger equals a fired round. I've shot a stock SPAS 12 and they are not machine guns. The game warden is not authorized by law to confiscate weapons unless there's poaching involved. He best be giving the weapon back or face felony theft charges.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    Having been a former owner of a Franchi SPAS-12, they were not a Fully Automatic shotgun. And NEVER were... If this event actually occurred, the firearm was defective and probably had a firing pin that was stuck in the exposed position...

I had one of the beautiful skeleton stocks with the hook!

http://spas12.com/spas12intro2.htm
    You guys already seen ONE PIC of one of my SPAS shotguns. I own 2 SPAS-12s. I know quite a few other SPAS owners. I was reading through this entire thread, mystified by the OP's response. He didn't understand the function of the SEMI AUTO button, he kept calling it a full auto button, which was kinda irritating. Franchi NEVER made a full auto SPAS-12 ever. I don't think anyone has ever converted one, considering that it has a tube magazine. I can see converting a drum or stick magazine fed semi auto gun like the USAS-12 or the SAIGA. The SPAS-12s DO slamfire auto sometimes but like our very WISE MEMBERSHIP has said many times, it's due to filth mucking up the works inside. If he cleaned the gun, he still missed the internals of the bolt (which is easy to do on the SPAS). As far as the GW confiscating it, that's BS. I hope your friend gets his gun back.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notch View Post
    i'm sorry to be "that guy" but either the OP's friend is mistaken in his termanology and "full" auto to him means semi automatic, or he is lying. i am siding with the lie explanation. there is NO WAY some deputy dog, or whatever he was, is going to let some feller with an "un papered" full auto walk away. just aint going to happen , no way, no how.
    Actually they will let someone walk away if they just want to steal the gun. A couple of deputies from the Crockett County, TN sheriff's department tried this same shit with me about fifteen years ago over a full-auto BM59. Difference was, unlike this guy's buddy, I knew I was legal and wasn't going to let them steal my lawfully owned property.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

The Spas 12 had a safety button issue and was recalled. Some got theirs fixed but most did not. That could be the reason it went full auto. Could have jambed the sear down. however the gun was stolen. If it was a real game warden it was still stolen. I can buy a game warden badge on line and steal somebodies gun too. This stinks and I would call ATF. If everything is legit, the most ATF would do is tell ya to get it repaired

I can not believe this happened under any circumstance. A gold badge is not a license to steal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12