Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaz 12

Spaz 12

My friend got one of these in a private sale, He has no class 3 license or anything. The gun is select fire 12 gauge and while he was shooting at the range with it a game warden heard him blast off some fully auto and came to check it out. Long story short the gun was taken from him but nothing ever came about it. I'm wondering if this was legal to do? basically the warden just took the gun for his own collection saying my friend wasn't legally able to own it. Was he able to own a gun that was originally purchased before the weapons ban and sold to him through private sale?

He just took it???

Your friend have a lawyer?

a full auto Spas-12 ....
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Spas-12 was a semi... It isn't even a DD like the street sweeper as it feeds from a tube. Was the FA just a slam fire malfunction?

The GW committed theft. He could take it as evidence, but nothing else.

Ok so I just called my friend, since I never shot this gun only held it.

You can move the pump forward and lock it into place and the gun become auto meaning no pump action is required to fire it.

And yes, the Game Warden just took it. Never did any paperwork or anything just pt it in his truck and left.

The auto selector is for gas to pump operation. The rest was just IMO slam firing due to dirt is my guess ...Call the game warden and tell them your about to call the Police dept and report your gun stolen.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    State game wardens don't enforce federal firearm laws. He stole it.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

The gun had been thoroughly cleaned and never fired when he purchased it so it's not due to dirt build up. I just asked him about how the pump action locked and he said "there's a button on the front end of the pump you push it, then move the pump to the forward position then it locks and you have full auto and vise versa for pump action"

Quote Originally Posted by Escobert View Post
    The gun had been thoroughly cleaned and never fired when he purchased it so it's not due to dirt build up. I just asked him about how the pump action locked and he said "there's a button on the front end of the pump you push it, then move the pump to the forward position then it locks and you have full auto and vise versa for pump action"
    Short of an illegal conversion or maybe a prototype that I dont know about Spaz has never released a FA spas12. ..The auto selector is for the gas or manual operation .

all we know is the gun was purchased in the 80's then sold to the former owner. he then sold it to my friend for around $1,000.

If it went F/A then it was slamfiring. The button under the grip simply turns it from pump to SEMI-automatic fire.

The GW ganked your buddies peice.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

You buddy needs to get on the ball.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I think his big thing is going to be how much it would cost to get the gun back that he might not even be able to own which is why I was asking if it was legal for him to own in the first place.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The manual might call it a Sporting Purpose Automatic Shotgun, but it was either semi-auto or pump action. My opinion, and my opinion only, there is something missing from this story.

The only thing I can think of is the original owner somehow did something with the gun that made it like this. My friend only had the gun for about 2 weeks before it was taken from him so he really didn't have a lot of info on it. I've posted everything he's told me which is everything he knows about the gun. He pushed the button pulled the pump forward locked it in place and pulled the trigger until it was empty. Like I said I never shot the gun or even saw it being shot. I only held it for about 5 minutes shortly after he purchased it.

Guys, broken firing pin spring causing slam fire in semi?

When the slide is back it should be: pump-pull trigger-fire-pump-pull trigger-fire

With the slide locked forward it should be: pull trigger-fire-pull trigger-fire-pull trigger-fire-pull trigger-fire-

Anything else is a malfunction or it has been altered.

Well I would guess based on what you have said your friend is mixing up semi-auto and full auto and doesn't know the difference between the two.

If it is firing semi-auto and not full auto it sounds to me like your friend got screwed and I would be reporting it.

If it was indeed firing full auto I am guessing he got off lucky in that some one didn't throw the book at him for having an illegal machinegun.

I would bet though there has to be more to this story than we know. I can't imagine a game warden taking a SPAS-12 that is in working order away for no reason.

Where did this happen? Was he shooting some where that he wasn't supposed to be? Or is there some state law that bans this gun?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Well I would guess based on what you have said your friend is mixing up semi-auto and full auto and doesn't know the difference between the two.

If it is firing semi-auto and not full auto it sounds to me like your friend got screwed and I would be reporting it.

If it was indeed firing full auto I am guessing he got off lucky in that some one didn't throw the book at him for having an illegal machinegun.

I would bet though there has to be more to this story than we know. I can't imagine a game warden taking a SPAS-12 that is in working order away for no reason.

Where did this happen? Was he shooting some where that he wasn't supposed to be? Or is there some state law that bans this gun?
    IDK but its gotta be plugged in pa lol !

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post

I live in Vermont who has about the most lax gun laws in the country and he was at a outdoor shooting range. The reason the warden came was because he heard automatic fire at the range and wanted to check it out.

Was he just shooting rapid OR

did he pull the trigger back ONE TIME and empty the gun?

Yes one trigger pull held down emptied the gun.

just asked again about how it selected fire
    "on the top it had A and M. A in the forward position meant Automatic, and M was Manuel or pump action
    It also had a cool AR style bolt slide type thing, but that's unrelated
    you could put shells in then push the button to close the slide and chamber a round"
    Last edited by Escobert; 01-18-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast