Thread: Rehearsal

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Rehearsal

I was giving serious thought to this matter while reloading tonight. Have any of you guys tried a SHTF dry-run rehearsal? I'm thinking about doing it on a weekend, where we shut off the power and the phones. Hopefully, doing something like that would bring any flaws or weaknesses to the surface. Any thoughts or ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by az_paul View Post
    I was giving serious thought to this matter while reloading tonight. Have any of you guys tried a SHTF dry-run rehearsal? I'm thinking about doing it on a weekend, where we shut off the power and the phones. Hopefully, doing something like that would bring any flaws or weaknesses to the surface. Any thoughts or ideas?
    Yup, we haven't gone full blown n shut the power off n such but we've went over and practiced what to do and expect when the shit hits. Lots of different scenarios to cover.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Last time we practiced was when Katrina hit and shut off power for a week. We had to live outside during the day because of the heat.

My wife cooked outdoors on a camp stove. She normally uses a grill. She is a great cook for the outdoors. We had plenty of stored food on shelves, plus three full freezers.

It took two days for me to remember I had a generator on my RV, which wasn't at my house. I needed it for the freezers. So, a twenty mile round trip drive later I was powering the freezers. I saved all that food, but it made me considered canning as a smarter thing to do.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I'm planning on installing a whole-house backup generator on our new place - LP powered with an automatic switch to cut it on when the main power is interupted. Where we are, we could easily see a week without power from an ice storm or bad wind storm. It will run $3000 but I think, well worth the expense.

When you live in the country, especially in a more secluded rural area, planning for this kind of thing is much more urgent and matter of course, as you know that you will definately need to use the planning at some point - SHTF not required.

Folks in the burbs don't generally have that sense of urgency but given the current overall situation, I would council getting it.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

That is the way to go.

My wife still gives me a bad look when the subject of the "Big Snow" in 1993 in central Alabama comes up. She told me to be SURE to buy a generator the day before the snow hit. I figured .. this is Alabama, the snow wont be that bad. Did I mention how good her outdoor cooking is?

She used an outdoor charcoal grill and the hood of the car for a table. The snow on the deck was the refrigerator.

She got a lot of practice using snow for a refrigerator when we purchased an un-finished house in upstate New York a few years before.

Yeah, you can definately prepare without spending the $$$ on things like backup gennies - canning, and being well stocked with wood and having an outdoor kitchen setup.

That's another thing that we are planning - having an outdoor kitchen area with the grilling being the central point - though, I'm thinking I may put my wood stove out there too... hmmm.

Threads like this get you thinking.

I pretty much live outdoors during the summer. Campfire cooking is a favorite of mine and im looking into ground oven cooking too. Lots of canned and dry foods, not nearly enough as id like but enough to get us through a short spell without power or frozen goods.

Maybe im the only one but some of my SHTF scenarios include Airborne invasion, Nuclear blast sighting and fallout preparing, White out/blizzard, Civil unrest/revolt, Flash Floods, Tornado prep, and lastly EMP. Id be lying if I said that my basement hasnt housed several family members during really bad weather on more than one occasion. Makes me glad my family knows I stay prepared.

O.S.O.K I have been dying for a genny for a couple years now but theyre outta my price range. I agree with your views of their importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    I pretty much live outdoors during the summer. Campfire cooking is a favorite of mine and im looking into ground oven cooking too. Lots of canned and dry foods, not nearly enough as id like but enough to get us through a short spell without power or frozen goods.

Maybe im the only one but some of my SHTF scenarios include Airborne invasion, Nuclear blast sighting and fallout preparing, White out/blizzard, Civil unrest/revolt, Flash Floods, Tornado prep, and lastly EMP. Id be lying if I said that my basement hasnt housed several family members during really bad weather on more than one occasion. Makes me glad my family knows I stay prepared.

O.S.O.K I have been dying for a genny for a couple years now but theyre outta my price range. I agree with your views of their importance.
    You might consider one of these: http://www.tractorsupply.com/champio...erator-4434023

On sale for $299 - 3500 watts - will power everything in your house accept for central AC - but it would save your frozen foods and keep you pretty comfy. If you go this route, be sure and get some gas cans and store enough to keep you going long enough...

If $199 is more to your liking then this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/sportsm...erator-4458506

That would still power a freezer and your lights and a few things.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by az_paul View Post
    No need to rehearse. Our phone and power companies give us plenty of time to practice. Check out my lantern, flashlight and candle supply some time. When I get empty space in the refrigerator I fill them with 2 liter bottles of water. I have cold water when I want it and when the power goes food storage stays colder longer. I just need to get my toilet water storage container replaced for those inconvenient times you have to flush, the pump isn't working and you don't feel like pumping. My old container got borrowed and that was the last I ever saw of it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Was all prepared to stay put in an emergency situation and with the utility outages we were already well rehearsed. That plan is rapidly changing to our backup plan as the neighborhood has gone to $hit. Anywho, we're focusing on 3 things this year; a designated place to retreat, how to get there and sustainability once there.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

With regard to generators and refrigerator freezers, I'm guessing if you ran the generator a couple of times each day, totalling three hours, and you were in a moderate climate, do you think that would be enough time to keep things frozen, assuming you only open it quickly a few times each day? Trying to judge how much gasoline to store. Do medium sized generators use a gallon an hour? Am I in the ballpark with those numbers? Any info sincerely appreciated.

Thanks for the link OSOK! 300 is a lot closer to my funds, and all I need to power is my fridge. I am curious about how much gas to store too.