Thread: First AK: M70 Yugo Underfolder!!!! Opinions on possible upgrades!!!

First AK: M70 Yugo Underfolder!!!! Opinions on possible upgrades!!!

Being relatively wet behind the ears regarding the AK world I was itching for an underfolder and this came along for the right price.

Its used but I felt it was the right time to as the old pun goes "pull the trigger"....although I haven't actually pulled the trigger on THIS particular one. My only time firing an Ak was a buddy's Saiga and his mini drako....it was enough for me to feel like I wanted BOTH in one gun...and I feel this somewhat does....albeit 25.5 inches folded up is a far cry from 16 like the mini....but it still fits in a tennis racket bag, which is nice.

I decided on the Yugo knowing it doesn't have the chrome lined barrel, that some of the parts interchangability isn't really there compared to the other AKs out there...but it seems to be the "better" one to go with...supposedly more accurage, thicker receiver, etc. I don't feel I'm at the level where I could tell the difference (yet) but I wanted to go with something that would be a good solid sturdy platform and versatile, so here I am.

That being said I was wondering what option(s) I have for mounting a forward vertical grip for this AK. I have seen a couple online mounted up on Yugos that looked pretty good, I prefer this first picture vs the 2nd in terms of grip placement to not be as "in the way" of mag changes:

vs

What are your thoughts on either config? It seems like there would also be a little bit more "control" of the gun in a rapid fire situation with a more forward placed grip as shown in photo 1.

I wasn't sure if there were some grips that would integrate with the rest of the grip and look like it was part of the gun, such as this:

From hunting around briefly I found this site showing options for the Yugo underfolder but of course the cost, while not outrageous it is approaching 1/2 the cost of the AK!

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPage...kovParts.shtml

Are there any other options? Aside from the forward grip I would like to go with some sort of laser but not something very obtrusive...I want to stay with the simple and uncluttered philosophy.

First post, first time owner so any comments, opinons or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I WILL say that YES I DO LIKE the black trim over the traditional wooden trim, but thats just me, I prefer my guns black.

Regarding Ammo all I've sourced so far from Walmart is Tula FMJ. I'll probably stay away from corrosive ammo just because I may not always be able to clean my gun QUICKLY and don't want to be a slave to the gun so to speak. It is ironic that the Yugo underfolder and Yugo ammo is supposed to be quite accurate but corrosive since there isn't a chrome lined barrel! But at 19 cents a round for steel online I won't lose much sleep paying 2 cents a round more than corrosive Yugo.

Thanks in advance!

A.
    Last edited by shiphteey; 01-23-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Welcome to the forum. I only own 1 AK variant and it is a M70ab2 as yours. I love mine the way it is. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Enjoy!!!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

How does yours shoot? What do you like about it and what do you not like about it so far as you've owned it in a non-modified form?

I will keep it non-modified briefly just to get a feel for things...

A.

It shoots great. I have Never had an fte issue but I did have a ftf issue at first. It did not want to eat hp ammo, fixed it by polishing the feed ramp. I have fired multiple mags at a time, 120 rnds, it got really hot but hey what do you expect. It feels funny with the cheek weld thingy but is not uncomfortable to shoot. The rifle hits where I point it and that is all I want. Enjoy.

be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the Board!!!

I'm a little bit of a purist. I perfer mostly wood furniture and generally standard optics like what would be issued with the rifle. If you want to go that direction http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html has great replacement stock sets. That includes really nice Yugo style wood pistol grips.

The red dot or holo sites are really all you would want on most AKs. Accuracy is a realitive thing with AKs as most are 4 moa at best.

Yugos are nice rifles. They have always been heavier built and very durable.

Thanks for the responses, keep em coming!

I respect the wooden look, don't get me wrong....but there's something about all black that just gets me going....can't explain it.

I was thinking about a red dot for this AK....are there any particular pros/cons of any? If I wanted to stay with all black is my only choice the Krebs setup?

UPDATE: I just called up Krebs and they say they don't make a forward vertical grip for the Yugo Underfolder...bummer....any other thoughts guys?

A.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

to the board! Congrats on your new Yugo. One of the very best in terms of accuracy in comparison to others. That last pic you show is a Romanian gun and the handgards are proper for the AIMS varient of those guns.

Most here are going to be stock type guys, as am I. I tend to leave my AK's KISS even though I've replaced furniture in order to satisfy 922r.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by shiphteey View Post
    Thanks for the responses, keep em coming!

I respect the wooden look, don't get me wrong....but there's something about all black that just gets me going....can't explain it.

I was thinking about a red dot for this AK....are there any particular pros/cons of any? If I wanted to stay with all black is my only choice the Krebs setup?

UPDATE: I just called up Krebs and they say they don't make a forward vertical grip for the Yugo Underfolder...bummer....any other thoughts guys?

A.
    Once you put the rail on there... ANY Pictinny VFG should work on there just fine. Make sure you get one that only covers the rails forward of the folder slot and you should be good to go.

Oh, and welcome! One of my frst AK's was a Yugo and it was FANTASTIC... Albeit heavy. But hey, if you run out of ammo... use it as a club!
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Sometimes a forward grip on a AK will interfere with mag changes since AK mags rock into place. Over the years you find plenty of Romanian AK's with the forward grip sawed off. If it was mine I'd leave it stock, following the KISS principle. If you need better sights, look into a red dot and possible MI rail system. Refrain from any impulses to "tacticalise" your beautiful Yugo.

Quote Originally Posted by tcallre View Post
    Sometimes a forward grip on a AK will interfere with mag changes since AK mags rock into place. Over the years you find plenty of Romanian AK's with the forward grip sawed off. If it was mine I'd leave it stock, following the KISS principle. If you need better sights, look into a red dot and possible MI rail system. Refrain from any impulses to "tacticalise" your beautiful Yugo.
    Do you own a M70AB2 or other variant? Welcome to the forum, the more the merrier. Enjoy!

be the heat..

I've tried many different variations on my Yugo M70 U/F.......I always end up with it stripped back down to stock config..........KISS
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -- Benjamin Franklin