Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norinco M14

Norinco M14

I have an opportunity to acquire one. It will be my first and only rifle chambered in .308. What is a decent price and what should I be aware of when inspecting? I read something from a web-search about soft bolts and headspacing. Can I interchange Springfield parts? And last question...are there aftermarket stocks? I'm sure there are, but maybe you could give me a link or two...

Thanks gents.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Um, be careful with a Norinco M14. Though the receivers are made from good forgings and properly hardened the bolts can often be soft on these. Headspace can fail in as little as 200 rounds. They are not inch spec and M14 parts don't just drop in exactly if you want to substitute a new bolt as an example. The rear sight is another problem, should it fail the GI sight parts won't fit without modifications. A fiberglass GI surplus M14 stock should work but you'll probably have to epoxy bed it to make it fit right.

Oh yeah, just remembered. Go to Fulton Armory's web site for more Chicom M14 details. He does rebuild them ... for a price or he did. Haven't checked in years.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yeah, I've read about them having soft steel probs - but I thought it was the reciever? Makes a difference... I would personally avoid one and go with something different - FAL for example - or just save up for a Springfield...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

PTR91 is another choice for .308
    J&G has .308 VEPRs...

Saiga 308... there are now steel 20 round mags IIRC. That was the one bitch against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Um, be careful with a Norinco M14. Though the receivers are made from good forgings and properly hardened the bolts can often be soft on these. Headspace can fail in as little as 200 rounds. They are not inch spec and M14 parts don't just drop in exactly if you want to substitute a new bolt as an example. The rear sight is another problem, should it fail the GI sight parts won't fit without modifications. A fiberglass GI surplus M14 stock should work but you'll probably have to epoxy bed it to make it fit right.

Oh yeah, just remembered. Go to Fulton Armory's web site for more Chicom M14 details. He does rebuild them ... for a price or he did. Haven't checked in years.
    Thank you sir. Good information.

I would pass and save for a Springfield or some other reputable make. I had one of the "better" Chinese m1as and when in battery with a saami round you could move the bolt back and forth about an eigth of an inch. Never fired it, sold it.

HOW much?

WIth some technical knowledge on the M14/M1a series most folks could update the needed parts that suck.
    BUT the Cost of Said NEw Bolt/internals and you're almost in used springfield range

Last I checked the Norincos were between $700-1000 pending on the specific model.

Crappy enough I passed on them when they were $300-400 NIB a few years back .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Yeah, here is the thing. I have 30.06, 5.56, and 7.63x39. I really have not wanted to add .308, but if it was the right deal I would.

for what You'd have into it.

I'd shop for an FN-49 in 30-06 and get 17rd mags .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Yeah, I've read about them having soft steel probs - but I thought it was the reciever?
    No it really is just the bolts. I have a buddy in the Carolins that had one, actually he still has it as he sent it to Fulton and they updated the bolt with a GI bolt, and the rear sight with GI parts. I think they also rebarrled it with a TRW surplus GI barrel and gas system parts. It wasn't cheap but at the time 1997, there were no forged receivers for the M14 available. I think he got it for $450 ish so the rebuild ended up putting just a bit more than a Springfield armory rifle at the time. Only the Springers had and still have investment cast receivers.

I myself have a Sprinfield m1A loaded package rifle. It is very reliable and fairly accurate. I trust it to work with any quality surplus 7.62 Nato ammo.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 01-25-2012 at 06:59 AM.

So, you're saying that he'd be better off getting a Springfield... I mean, you're going to have to spend the money anyway it sounds like... so why not have something that will have and hold it's value?

If you are dead set on a M14/M1A.....

LRB Arms is the way to go.....other than them.....buy a transferable M14.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

There's nothing wrong with the barrels, there's nothing wrong with the receiver, most (who don't get paid to rebuild them) say there's little wrong with the bolts... IMO if you can get it cheap enough it's worth getting (say $600). Just buy a headspace gauge and check it every couple of hundred of rds till it either moves or proves itself to you that's it's fine. If it ever does need anything it would most likely just be a bolt which aren't that hard to lap into place (since you have the gauge already ).

If it's someone wanting 90% of the value of a springfield for it I'd pass, if it's priced right they can be a good value.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    If it's someone wanting 90% of the value of a springfield for it I'd pass, if it's priced right they can be a good value.
    Thanks...I agree. My take is, if its a cheap entry into the platform/caliber, I may bite. My only worry being the bolt.

Saiga 308

I will second the Saiga in 308, own one with a 22in barrel and was very surprised at the accuracy of this rifle for a semi-auto for half the price. It is a bit on the heavy side with a scope on top but mine shoots as good as any M14 at 250 yds which is the farthest that i have touched it off on a target. 2-2.5 in groups with Magtech 150 gr FMJ. which means a good head shot on just about anything at this range. One tough built rifle,damn good combat rifle for the money,paid alittle over $500 for mine about two yrs ago and it has stood toe to toe with the M14s at my local range.(which maxes out at 250 yds on the rifle range.) Wish i could find a longer range in my area,say like 600 yds or so,alas there are none in my local area. 308 over 223 any day.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    So, you're saying that he'd be better off getting a Springfield... I mean, you're going to have to spend the money anyway it sounds like... so why not have something that will have and hold it's value?
    It is a bit of a toss up. Sprinfield Armory rifles use invstement cast receivers, the norinco is forged. In theory the norinco receiver is stronger. To riddick's point, the barrels are pretty good for accuracy. I've seen 2 norinco m14's shoot better than Sprinfield Armory M1A rifles. The norico brings a receiver to the party that only LRB can supply for a lot more money. In other words, the norico is a great way to get a forged receiver for small money, assuming you can get the weapon for 6 bills or less.

To other people's points the PTR91 is a good choice, you can't beat the price of the surplus German G3 mags. A Saiga .308 should be fine as well, but i have not owned one of those. Then again never owned a PTR but I have owned both the Century G3 and CETME rifles. At that point in time PTR rifles were just coming on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    It is a bit of a toss up. Sprinfield Armory rifles use invstement cast receivers, the norinco is forged. In theory the norinco receiver is stronger. To riddick's point, the barrels are pretty good for accuracy. I've seen 2 norinco m14's shoot better than Sprinfield Armory M1A rifles. The norico brings a receiver to the party that only LRB can supply for a lot more money. In other words, the norico is a great way to get a forged receiver for small money, assuming you can get the weapon for 6 bills or less.

To other people's points the PTR91 is a good choice, you can't beat the price of the surplus German G3 mags. A Saiga .308 should be fine as well, but i have not owned one of those. Then again never owned a PTR but I have owned both the Century G3 and CETME rifles. At that point in time PTR rifles were just coming on the market.
    Scheutz, I believe on the current production M1As there are a lot of non-GI parts. Is anyone having problems with these parts, including the receiver, it is it more of a matter of perception?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

FWIW I had a PolyTech M14S and loved it, no issues at all in fact my brother inlaw who I sold it to is still shooting it after 4-5 years.

Just my opinion but check the headspace on the Norinco. If it looks to have seen some rounds though it and the headspace is good then the bolt is probably fine or it would be checking bad by now. Also check to see if the bolt has already been replaced with a G.I bolt.

If it's priced right I'd at least consider it. I picked up a figerglass stock for my Poly from the guy who does or did advertise in Shotgun News, can't recall his name of add but others will I'm sure. That baby locked up tight on my Poly and she was pretty accurate with it. Much more so than with the Chu wood or what ever it is the Chinese used for stocks.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Scheutz, I believe on the current production M1As there are a lot of non-GI parts. Is anyone having problems with these parts, including the receiver, it is it more of a matter of perception?
    Yes they have been running out of GI parts since the 2002 time frame. On having problems, I can't say I've been hearing much about them. The oprod I think I've heard of them breaking on occasion, but can't recall any other parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast