Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith Model 10 arrives

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up Smith Model 10 arrives

Picked it up this morning - was acutally at the dealer's last Friday but I was out of town...

Looks just as described - actually better. The only substantial wear is on the sides of the muzzle - from holstering and drawing I am sure. This is probably a security company gun? Regardless, it's in VG condition. The bore is excellent and it is tight. Grips have the most wear but its just the finish - no gouges or deep scratches, so that would be easy to fix should I decide to.

Looking at it, I noticed the beveled - "new style" cylinder release button - this is not that old... I don't think any LEO org would have purchased these for duty use that recently - unless for a certain type of duty? I don't know -but I'm thinking security company...

Anyway, I'm really happy with it - definately a great revolver for $269 shipped.

Here are the obligatory picks:

I went to china mart to get some ammo - my ammo and reloading stuff is all packed up (can't wait to get into our new home....) but they were completely sold out of .38 Special ammo = and the clerk checked and said it was "a warehouse out" and that he therefore had no idea when they'd get more in....

Wonder what the heck is up with that? Some poor buying on walmart's part? Or did they have a hot price on on their ammo or something? I think it was $24/box of 50 count Winny hp's... so I don't get it.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 01-24-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

I like it. Congrats. The RB and 4" bbl aren't that common, at least not around here. A heavy barrel M10 is one I need to get.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thanks. It's actually a Model 10-10. Is that a reference to the round butt or heavy barrel?

I"m looking forward to shooting it.

And I'd like a slim 4" barrel model as well...
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 01-24-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Thanks. It's actually a Model 10-10. Is that a reference to the round butt or heavy barrel?

I"m looking forward to shooting it.

And I'd like a slim 4" barrel model as well...
    Probably neither. I'll check the bible tonight when I get home and see what the -10 engineering change is.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Maybe its the cylinder release...

Maybe its the cylinder release...
    If you want you can PM me the serial number and I can give you some idea of when it was made.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

The -10 engineering change came about in 1988 and involved a new yoke retention system/radius stud package/floating hand hammer nose bushing on the heavy barrel model. The -9 was the same thing on the taper barrel models.

Based on the fact that the -11 change occured in 1997 yours was made sometime between 88-97. My reference lists product code 100123 as a blued, 4", HB, RB made between 1984-91. Also product code 100124 lists the same gun going to the CA Dept of Corrections and Fairfax county in 1997. If yours is marked CDC it might be from that batch. HTH
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Mine's serial is CAR9XXX.

Mine's serial is CAR9XXX.
    I'd put it sometime between March and August of 1996 as the prefix CAN was used in January of the year and S&W was into the CBA prefix by September.

Any departmental or agency markings?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thanks. Not that I can see. I haven't taken the grips off yet. I think I'm going to do a very light refinish on them - just remove the laquer and redo with polyurethane. Might stain a bit darker....

Have they had that angled cylinder releas latch for that long? I thought that was a mid-90's thing...?

The cylinder latch was changed in the mid 90's but I don't know of a specific year that it occured. Sometimes changes like that don't hit all models at the same time.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Oh wait - you said 1996 - not 86. Doh. That would put it right at the time of the cylinder release latch change. Makes sense.

Looks good OSOK.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Thanks. Hope it shoots as good as it looks - to point of aim. Time will tell - got to get it to stop raining here for a while...

Thanks. Hope it shoots as good as it looks - to point of aim. Time will tell - got to get it to stop raining here for a while...
    I would think that it was regulated from the factory with a 158gr load. That's what my M10 and M64 seem to like the best. The 125-130gr loads tend to shoot low.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Yeah - my M64 likes the 158's too - that's why I bought two 158 grain loads to test

I hope it likes 170 grain hard cast semi-wad cutters pushed a bit faster - 900-950 fps or so...

I was just looking at the Aliant web site - 5.4 grains of Power Pistol under a 158 lead SWC gave them 948 fps. The +P load was 6 grains and 1041 fps, so I should be able to get 950 with the 170 grain cast boolits with something between those two loads.

Well, played hookie and went to the range over lunch. Shot about 75 rounds - all 158 grain.

Performance was as expected - 100% function. Shot both loads to point of aim at 7 and 20 yards and seemed too be spot on at 30 when I was shooting at pieces of clay pigeon on the burm.

I was able to get 3" groups, off-hand at 20 yards. It seemed to favor the Magtech hp's a tad over the S&B fmj's.

After shooting it, I'd say a new set a grips would improve my double action shooting some as my hand tended to want to climb up the grip as I shot. But it was very easy to squeeze off rapid fire shots and place them in double action mode.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it! Definately a good, basic KISS defensive revolver.

Looking forward to working up some 170 grain Keith lswc loads for it.

Well, played hookie and went to the range over lunch. Shot about 75 rounds - all 158 grain.

Performance was as expected - 100% function. Shot both loads to point of aim at 7 and 20 yards and seemed too be spot on at 30 when I was shooting at pieces of clay pigeon on the burm.

I was able to get 3" groups, off-hand at 20 yards. It seemed to favor the Magtech hp's a tad over the S&B fmj's.

After shooting it, I'd say a new set a grips would improve my double action shooting some as my hand tended to want to climb up the grip as I shot. But it was very easy to squeeze off rapid fire shots and place them in double action mode.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it! Definately a good, basic KISS defensive revolver.

Looking forward to working up some 170 grain Keith lswc loads for it.
    Congratulations! Have you considered a Tyler T-Grip?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

OSOK, I know you cast your own but. . . I have some kick ass 158 gr hollow points and the old 148 gr hollow base wad cutter.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...llets-for-Sale

And, if you need it I'm making hollow lube sticks too.
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...wn-bullet-lube.
    Last edited by L1A1Rocker; 01-28-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast