Thread: Meet the AK-74 Replacement: AK-12. Again.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Meet the AK-74 Replacement: AK-12. Again.

Meet the AK-74 Replacement: AK-12. Again.

Posted on January 25, 2012 by Robert Farago

firearmblog.com has the inside dope on the new AK-12, the ugly ass replacement for the venerable AK-74. Our competitor reveals the Russian rifle’s new features: “ambidextrous forward charging handle, smaller ejection port, new safety switch, new fire control switch with three modes of fire (single shot, 3 round burst and full auto), new hinged top cover, quad picatinny rails, folding and length adjustable stock, ergonomic pistol grip (with a decent radius between trigger guard and grip), new muzzle brake that attaches to standard NATO 22mm threading and improved barrel rifling.” What FAB didn’t mention [but en.ria.ru does] is just how well the Russian armsmaker’s doing these days . . .

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...t-ak-12-again/

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Meet the AK-74 Replacement: AK-12. Again.

Posted on January 25, 2012 by Robert Farago

firearmblog.com has the inside dope on the new AK-12, the ugly ass replacement for the venerable AK-74. Our competitor reveals the Russian rifle’s new features: “ambidextrous forward charging handle, smaller ejection port, new safety switch, new fire control switch with three modes of fire (single shot, 3 round burst and full auto), new hinged top cover, quad picatinny rails, folding and length adjustable stock, ergonomic pistol grip (with a decent radius between trigger guard and grip), new muzzle brake that attaches to standard NATO 22mm threading and improved barrel rifling.” What FAB didn’t mention [but en.ria.ru does] is just how well the Russian armsmaker’s doing these days . . .

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...t-ak-12-again/

Steve
    Yeah but it comes in 7.62x51

Well, the AN-94 was the replacement for the AK-74, so I'll believe this when I see it.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

I thought they were replacing it with a M4 style weapon?
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Keeping up with the Galil, 30 years later.

Looks pretty buggered up to me.
    If it wasn't broken, dont' fix it.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by rahatlakhoom View Post
    Keeping up with the Galil, 30 years later.

Looks pretty buggered up to me.
    If it wasn't broken, dont' fix it.

It was broken. Time has passed the AK by. Modern tactics require modularity and mission adaptability.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid"

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

"the new AK-12, the ugly ass replacement for the venerable AK-74".

I like this technical assessment of the new rifle, lol.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Official: Russia's Rolling Out the AK-12 (VIDEO)

Story by: Max Slowik

Small arms giant Izhmash has begun production of Russia's long-anticipated AK-12, the 2012 replacement for the AK-74. From the photos, it's safe to say that it's much improved, yet still at heart a Kalashnikov rifle. Mikhail could approve.

http://www.guns.com/official-russias...the-ak-12.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ok, it's pretty plain to see from this still photo that it's just a slightly modified AK74 receiver. They've put a safey selector back over the grip, some what Tantalish. They have a reailed top cover that latches solid for optics. They have what looks like any number of railed forend gas tube cover systems that are on the market and a straighter stock for a more consistant cheeck weld. I see they still have the same basic rear sight on it. Shame about that. I see a windage adjustment screw on the rear sight base, slight improvment.

Must have a left side charging handle that we aren't seeing as there is no charging handle / hook on the right side of the bolt carrier. Also still no dust cover for the ejector port, not that a typical AK really needs one given the clearances on the bolt in the trunion.

I think they consulted with Printard man.

On the whole if it was available in 5.56 nato chambering I'd be interested in one.

Damn, that is one Ugly concoction.

Looks like something Printerman would come up with.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

was_peacemaker
    Wonder why they didn't upgrade the mag release catch to a more push button type design...like AR-15, HK, or SIG.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

I think they consulted with Printard man.
    That was my response on an earlier thread about this rifle, lol.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Wonder why they didn't upgrade the mag release catch to a more push button type design...like AR-15, HK, or SIG.
    Because that would obsolete all their AK74 magazines. The Rock in style of mag that they are, not easy to make a push button release for them. Plus you'd still have to rock it in, so what did you gain with a push button release.

So long AN94.

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

the AN-94 was plainly an albatross to anyone who had experience with arms design. The russians were so desperate to look "modern" that they would have glommed onto anyting that looked advanced.

this is actually not a bad update of the system to my estimation. it may still have the basic reciever deisgn of teh AK, but that is a design teh russians have perfected. adding modern design cues and improvements to a tried and true system is a winner in my book. Just making it a modular system is a huge leap forward technologically.

SW

The Russian gun industry, particularly the Izhevsk plant is kinda like Detroit's Big Three in the 1980s. They produce crap in increasing numbers, resting on their past laurels, facing a dead end. Lack of competition, lack of fresh, new young talent plus corruption, plus limited access to the most demanding markets all factor in. Russians aren't allowed to be a legitimate player on the U.S. civilian arms market due to some treaties Yeltsin has signed with Clinton some 15-18 years ago.
    The AK lacks modern ergonomics, it still works but is in some ways obsolete. I am admitting this being the AK is one of my favorite assault rifles, probably the favorite. The AN 94 turned out to be a fiasco, although it was very advanced at the time and could still serve as the basis for an ultra-modern weapons system.
    The AK-12 is something any dope from this forum could come up with, if they were asked. The could bang this thing up over a weekend, having been collecting fund for R&D for years. I suspect, this is exactly what happened. So this is sad, although the AK-12 might be a decent rifle after all. But for a giant like Izhevsk Arms Factory, it's a disgrace.
    The stuff the produce for the Russian civilian market is mostly complete crap. Their .380 Makarov pistol is awfully made, so is their Viking plastic analog. It is sad. The Saiga .410, being very popular (Saiga .410K in particular) is a hit or miss, quality is inconsistent. Prices in Russia are inflated, if Saiga used to cost $130 a decade ago, now they sell for upwards from $400 a piece. And quality control is declining. Hence my old Detroit analogy.
    Molot factory is probably the only one that at least tries producing quality guns in Russia, and not surprisingly, they've almost went bankrupt in recent years.

Siberian weather anyone??? It looks like hodge podge of left over Tapco parts...Galil anyone?

Diesel 88888888

Roadhouse Groupee

I watched a vid of it being fired. It barely moves at all, very accurate on full auto.