Thread: M2 Machine Gun Gets U.S. Army Makeover

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post M2 Machine Gun Gets U.S. Army Makeover

M2 Machine Gun Gets U.S. Army Makeover

By Brendan McGarry and Tony Capaccio - Jan 23, 2012 10:00 PM MT

The U.S. Army’s “Ma Deuce,” the .50-caliber M2 machine gun wielded by World War II hero Audie Murphy, is being revamped to prevent malfunctions that have injured dozens of soldiers.

Congress shifted $34 million at the Army’s request to supplement $15 million originally sought in this year’s defense budget for modifications to correct a “safety issue” with the M2, according to the conference report accompanying legislation. The funds may benefit gunmakers General Dynamics Corp. (GD) and U.S. Ordnance Inc.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...-makeover.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Setting them involves screwing in the barrel, listening for clicks and making adjustments with a small tool. “It’s a very tedious process,” Ryan said. “It can take upwards of 20 minutes on a really bad day.”
    Ohh-kay - 20 minutes?

I'm all for the quick change barrel, grabbing hold of that hot barrel with the supplied gloves was a torture test of pain endurance and guts but once the clean cold barrel was on it was a minute job if the operator had a clue to what he was doing. I'm betting problems came when the operator didn't have or if he had didn't know how to use the Go/No go gauge and he guessed and goshed it.

Still I am all for an improvement, even John Browning's old 1911 has been tweaked for the better by skilled gunsmiths. Everything walking, talking, sliding, floating, rolling, flying or running can be improved.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Thank God, I feared they made it "tactical"

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Many of the units using these in the turret of a truck are not combat arms. They don't take the training of the weapon system serious and then their soldiers can't use the weapon other than to remove the safety and fire and maybe reload. There is more to operating a Ma Deuce than that. As OG said above, they never took the training seriously and it bit them when it counted.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

It will be an improvement if 'headspace and timing' is eliminated. definitely.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Interesting link article. Thanks for posting it.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I'd hate to have a .50 explode with a bad headspace setting! It'd ruin my whole.....life.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Soldado View Post
    It will be an improvement if 'headspace and timing' is eliminated. definitely.
    That would be interesting if it were a possibility. First guy to figure that out is almost as rich as the first guy to invent a pill that dissolves and expels fat from the body.

There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Can't help it and I'm glad I wasn't part of that crew but I crack up everytime I see that clip.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.