Thread: Need help pricing a WW2 "war trophy" Arisaka.

was_peacemaker

Need help pricing a WW2 "war trophy" Arisaka.

About 4 years ago I had some old music equipment that I didn't need. A guy I know traded me his grandpa's WW2 Arisaka for it. This gun appears to be a bring back, as it has no importer markings on it in anyway shape or form. It appears to be a Type 99, and in great shape. Beautiful brown stock with, and the bluing appears to be 95% or better.

The thing doesn't look like it was ever fired very much at all...no pitting in the barrel, nice rifling. The only problem is that the bolt will not stay together. I think its missing a piece or someone appears to have messed with it, but I don't see any tool marks.

I have heard that these can be worth something to collectors if the barrel, receiver, and stock are in good shape. Seems as though the bolt could easily be fixed. Any thoughts on what I could price this weapon at...even with the bolt in the shape that it is in?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Without the necessary "bring back" documents it's just a surplus rifle. A complee type 99 should have rear sight with the fold down legs/arms for shooting at aircraft, monopod and dust cover. It should also have crysanthemum stamped on top of the receiver. Captured weapons may have this stamp intact but the Japanese defaced the stamp on a lot of rifles or maybe the G.I.s did it but either way if not defaced it will add to the value of the rifle. For each of the features that I noted the price goes down with each one that is missing. Since yours isn't able to be fired as is that's another strike against it. You might be looking at a value of $150-$200 to $500+, just depends.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

was_peacemaker
    Well...at least hat is something. Do you think I could score a Chicom SKS for it? I kind of miss having a Chinese SKS. Great truck rifle if you know what I mean. Or possible a used Marlin lever action?

Is the chrysanthemum intact? That would be the only thing that could make it stand out collector wise. Bring back Japanese rifle aren't that rare and being nonworking is going to hurt value big time.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Is the chrysanthemum intact? That would be the only thing that could make it stand out collector wise. Bring back Japanese rifle aren't that rare and being nonworking is going to hurt value big time.
    I am going to have to take a look Saturday.

EDIT: I looked it up. I think it might be if memory serves me correctly. How much of an impact could that have on price?
    Last edited by was_peacemaker; 01-27-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Arisakas with the mum ground/filed/defaced are extremely common at shows & the shops. Folks interested in serious collector pieces will want the royal mum on the receiver 100% intact.

I have my dad's Type 38 carbine he brought back from the 'canal. It also has the matching bayonet, leather frog & sling, along w/ a small wood tag that has the suddenly deceased previous owner's name written on it.

was_peacemaker
    Well....I went and got it today. I don't have the chrysanthemum, and I can't find the pin and spring for it.