Thread: Cool find in the Ardennes.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Cool find in the Ardennes.

If only this rifle could talk. Almost as cool as the Spitfire being dug up and the Brownings still working.

Sprechen ze deutche? LOL
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

cool, but that's one place I wouldnt be digging to much around in.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

No shit. I spent two years in that area in the early 90s (the greater Bitburg/Eifell area). Our EOD guys were always getting called out to defuse/BIP/render safe all manner of ordnance. One afternoon, one of our summer hire grass cutters was running a weedeater and kept whacking something with the head (which rotated at 37K rpm BTW). Instead of just moving on, he had to dig it up, bring it to the office, and annouce that this was something he found in the park across the street from the shop. After everyone jumped out of every window in the building and called EOD, it was determined it was a LIVE 88mm artillery round. 500lb bombs were always getting called in, same with arty rounds. Bitburg was a pretty busy place in the winter of '44/'45.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Whats sad is that the ATF would still classify that as a working machinegun.

BISHOP

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

the real question where can we dig up a magazine and a couple hundred rounds of 7.92mm kurz.....

SW

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I've always loved the stg, truly a great design that deserved a better career than it had. On a related note I remember a shotgun news article about russian "black pathfinders", basically crooks that go to ww2 battlefields and dig up guns to use in crime. They're pretty good at what they do, they even used salvaged barrels to home build guns.

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I would love to find something like that. For a long time I have been wanting to get a metal detecter. Many cival war battles have been fought in my area. I think that it would be coo to find some mini balls or something. (There was a battle litterly 1/2 mile from where I live.)

About the rifle. I have to wonder why it was left? Covered up in an explosion? Battle damaged beyond repair? Still pretty cool.