Thread: New NHM-90 owner sayin hi!

New NHM-90 owner sayin hi!

Hey there everyone, recently picked me up a NHM-90 in outstanding condition, and thought i'd join a bunch of other Chinese AK fans.

A little about my prize... Recently was at a pawn shop and saw this bad boy sittin on the shelf for $450. It is stamped NHM-90, but I know this one was imported post ban (thumbhole stock). It has slant cut receiver with the plate over the end, and a welded on rear tang. It has the underfolder holes in the receiver covered and pinned. Muzzle cap has already been removed and tack welds carefuly ground down, with very nice threads underneath. Metal finish is 9/10 with only a few very small scratches here or there. Rifleing is very strong, didnt look like it had been shot very much at all, I would have mistaken it for new. Wood is also in amazing shape. Managed to talk the shop down to $400 out the door.

I've been looking the past couple days, and havnt been able to find much solid information on converting it back to an underfolder, I was hoping someone with a bit more knowledge here might be able to point me in the right direction? I completely understand that I need to keep it 922r compliant, and if I decide to go this route I already have that planned. I am not planning on converting it and selling it, this ones definetly a keeper, I just like underfolders and would love to convert this one. I have had quite a bit of trouble finding a chinese underfolding stock with the hardware, but I find tons of romanian stocks around. Would a romanian folding stock or yugo or other fit on a chicom receiver? From what ive read I wouldnt need the rear trunion because of the thicker receiver, is that accurate?

Look forward to chattin with everyone, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Just a quick note of congratulations and to welcome you aboard! They're good and accurate shooters.

Oh yeah, welcome to the wonderful AK addiction we all share!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

The slant cut on that receiver is proper because it is an underfolder receiver. The tang was welded to it to support the bush-hole stock, and a rivet was put in the receiver holes to keep the two plate in place, covering the folder mount holes thereby keeping you from turning it back into one of those evil weapons that George Bush the First so feared.

The NHM-90 also had the muzzle still threaded as you have found, so you have a really nice rifle, that you stole for $400!!!! By the way, I have been looking all over for one of those and just happen to have a complete underfolding stock assembly waiting for a "donor rifle".

Installing the original stock is easy once you have the parts, just cut the rivet with a dremel to remove the cover plates, cut the tang off the receiver cover and refinish, install the underfolding stock and you are in business. The only problem is that because of the import ban, finding the original front sight block with the cleaning rod holder, and the gas block with bayo lug is nearly impossible to find, but that wouldn't keep you from having a super nice rifle regardless.

CONGRATS!!!!! and enjoy!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

You got that for a great price and it looks to be in great shape.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the welcome

I should be meeting up with a guy to pick up a chinese underfolder today, ill have to wait for a few compliance parts to come in, but as soon as im done with the conversion ill post up some pics.

Thanks for the info Imanaknut, I tried looking around for more parts and definetly cant seem to find gas block or sight block. But ill be happy with just the underfolder back on it, atleast then that 2x4 of a thumbhole stock wont be on there lol. The stock wouldnt be as bad if it were designed a bit better, like the ones you see on the Maadi, with the cool cleaning kit in it, I kinda like those ones.
    Last edited by Infectedflea; 01-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.