Thread: Saiga vs M+M

Saiga vs M+M

So I have researched my upcoming purchase not quite to death yet, but I'm working on that... I am currently vacillating between 2 AK-47 type rifles on Classic Firearms' website. The first is a Saiga, here is the verbiage from Classic's website:
    >RUSSIAN SAIGA AK RIFLE
    >U.S. parts count meets full 922r Compliance
    >Russian Saiga AK configuration Rifle. One of the smoothest operating, best looking
    >Russian AK rifles available. Fully 922r compliant, accepts all standard high capacity
    >AK Mags and Drums. Integral Scope Mount on Receiver. 7.62x39 Caliber, Semi-Auto.
    >Comes complete with 1-30 rd mag, cleaning kit, oil bottle and manual.

The second is a M+M AK variant, here is the description:
    >Romanian M10-762 Semi-Automatic AK-Type Rifle, 7.62x39
    >The rifle you see above is a Romanian M10-AK variant imported directly from
    >Romania. The M10 AK-type rifles are entirely manufactured of all NEW parts. We
    >guarantee these rifles to exceed ATF's minimum 922R, six U.S. made parts
    >compliancy requirements with the following, brand NEW, U.S. made parts installed:
    >Tapco RAZR muzzle brake with integral flash hider; polymer Tapco buttstock;
    >ergonomic Hogue Industries pistol grip; Tapco single hook G2 trigger group (3 parts);
    >30 round, double stack Promag, black polymer magazine; and Tapco AK retaining
    >plate for ease of install and take down.
    >
    >The barrels of these rifles are cold hammer forged and chrome-lined for long lasting
    >durability and increased accuracy and have a 1:10 twist rate with four lands and
    >grooves; windage adjustable RPK-style rear sights graduated to 1000 meters in 100
    >meter increments, adjustable iron front sight, fully CNC machined steel scope
    >mounting rails, heat-treated, stamped receiver to military specifications, light-weight
    >aluminum quad rails with removable rubber quad rail covers and a removable trigger
    >plate.
    >
    >All rifles come supplied with a card board storage box, an owner's manual, one 30
    >round magazine and a one year, from the date of purchase, warranty.
    >
    >SPECIFICATIONS: Overall Length: 36"; Barrel: NEW Chrome-lined, 16.25" long, 1:10
    >twist rate with four lands and grooves, right hand twist, ; Weight, Unloaded w/out
    >Bayonet: 6 lbs; Action Type: Semi-automatic; Caliber: 7.62x39mm; Magazine: 30
    >round, double stack; Rear Sight Type: RPK type sight graduated to 1000 meters in
    >100 meter increments.

Both can be purchased for about $500. Which is the better purchase?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Depends on what you want. The Rommie is a duded up WASR sounds like. Which is fine.

I have both Saigas (that I converted myself) and Romanians...

If you want a quality KISS carbine, then the Saiga is the pick. Want tacticool? Go with the Romanian.

The Saiga will be (on average) more accurate by a small margin.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

The Romanian says it is built with all new parts. What important parts (ie: functional, not just cosmetic) would be reused on the Saiga? Typically, how badly worn are they?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The Saiga is all new also... it iis just converted from a "sporting" configuration to pistol grip and a few USA parts installed for compliance.