Thread: Understanding "tactical" stances

Understanding "tactical" stances

I see guys using these stances on the web all the time and they sound like they know their stuff but whats the benefits of using these positions?

Pistol
    http://alastartds-c.com/wp-content/u...1/MG_12501.jpg

Rifle
    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2598/4...d07_z.jpg?zz=1
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

The handgun stance looks like a modified weaver stance, which helps to steady the gun. The rifle stance looks odd, and uncomfertable. It seems like moving the forward grip forward, and setting it out at 45 degrees would give a better hold.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    The military trains in a stance that puts the chest straight towards the threat. This allows the maximum protection of your vitals by your ceramic ballistic plate. The arms are tucked close to the side for weapon stability.

Why the examples you posted hold their weapons and position their arms, I couldn't tell you.
    Last edited by btcave; 02-01-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

The pistol stance just looks like a modified icosolese stance to me. For the rifle, who is being run by Chris Costa of Magpul training fame (and now running his own Costa Ludus training group), he puts his support arm as far forward as possible/comfortable because to him it helps him run the gun better/faster from target to target, as opposed to closer in or how some people put their support hand on the magwell (which I don't like either). Many competition shooters, mostly 3-gunners, do that as well to help with faster target acquisitions.

Some of the snippets from their videos on YouTube show them explaining their reasoning for doing so.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Its secret.

They both look extremely uncomfortable to me.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I do the pistol for speed shooting at multiple targets, nobody taught me that it just seemed natural. You couldn't talk hard enough or fast enough to get me to shoot a rifle that way. I'm old and hard headed I guess.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Tried em both, just dont understand what the deal is besides the boday armor thing that btcave mentioned. I used a slightly modified weaver stance for pistol myself. I suppose its the same thing with the rifle, never had anyone show me how to hold it except for long range shots
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Stance is just part of the formula. We train standing, kneeling, prone, and moving. The draw and presentation of the pistol is part of the stance we train our guys. Weak hand is up in front of the chest while strong hand brings the pistol up to make the grip and push the pistol out while engaging the target. The stance is; feet approx. shoulder width apart, strong foot slightly forward, knees slightly bent, slight forward lean, elbows slightly bent.

As far as the rifle, I have no idea what he is doing...

On an episode of SWAT Magazine TV he's featured and he explains why he runs the rifle like he does. I'm trying to find a vid of it online but not luck as of yet (can't find any episodes online yet). Here's a video that shows it in action (not caring for the dude who posted this's music, but whatever ).

Will keep looking to see if I can find the episode or a snippet with him explaining it.

PS. I've tried the way he uses his support hand as far forward as possible before and I like it. IMO it helps me with quicker transitions, especially with multiple target like during 3-guns, compared to the scrunched in (to me) support hand on the magwell hold. YMMV.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Jerry Miculek's grip is very similar.

I don't know if this is his reason but I was taught that the further forward you hold the rifle, the more muzzle control you have. Small movements further rearward translate to big movement at the muzzle. The thumbs forward thing is just translating the pistol grip to a rifle.

And yes, combat shooters are trained to square off with your target. 1 to take full advantage of your armor and 2 because a triangle is alledgedly a more stable and repeatable platform.