Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Shotgun and what it means

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i throw up in my mouth a little whenever im forced to use the "t" word.

that said, i have a 590 w/ the bayo lug. why? because its fucking cool as shit. thats why. its not at all practical, and i would never try to convince anyone as such, but it does look badass.

other than that, although i dont have any of the side saddle or any other shell carriers on mine, i do see them as a very wise addition. when you grab a pistol, you can grab an extra mag or 2 and throw them in your pocket. i know i have extra loaded mags sitting next to my defense pistols. same goes for a rifle, ar, ak, or whatever. not to mention, even without an extra mag, that ar or ak already has 30 rnds loaded in it. the shotgun, otoh, if one plans on using it in a defensive situation, they never have them laying around with a stack of extra shells, and even if they did, grabbing all of those loose shells and trying to stuff them in your pocket would be clumsy and impractical, at best. add to that that the average shotgun dosent hold too many rounds to start with , having a few extras on the gun, ready to go is not a bad idea.

its not "tactical", its "practical"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    i throw up in my mouth a little whenever im forced to use the "t" word.

that said, i have a 590 w/ the bayo lug. why? because its fucking cool as shit. thats why. its not at all practical, and i would never try to convince anyone as such, but it does look badass.

other than that, although i dont have any of the side saddle or any other shell carriers on mine, i do see them as a very wise addition. when you grab a pistol, you can grab an extra mag or 2 and throw them in your pocket. i know i have extra loaded mags sitting next to my defense pistols. same goes for a rifle, ar, ak, or whatever. not to mention, even without an extra mag, that ar or ak already has 30 rnds loaded in it. the shotgun, otoh, if one plans on using it in a defensive situation, they never have them laying around with a stack of extra shells, and even if they did, grabbing all of those loose shells and trying to stuff them in your pocket would be clumsy and impractical, at best. add to that that the average shotgun dosent hold too many rounds to start with , having a few extras on the gun, ready to go is not a bad idea.

its not "tactical", its "practical"
    Agree 100%.

I just got my elastic shell holder from the tractor supply a few weeks ago for about $4. I figured I would try it out and if it doesn't suit me or just doesn't hold up being made out of elastic and all, it was only four bucks. I just razored a little hole for my rear sling stud to poke through.

I also keep a little bandoleer with 25 shells next to it, ready to throw over my shoulder. Its kinda redneck-tactical I guess, but it what I've got until my next round of SHTF purchases.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Agree 100%.

I just got my elastic shell holder from the tractor supply a few weeks ago for about $4. I figured I would try it out and if it doesn't suit me or just doesn't hold up being made out of elastic and all, it was only four bucks. I just razored a little hole for my rear sling stud to poke through.
    i have one on my remington 700 adl in 243 that i sometimes hunt varmint with. for the same reason, the 700 gets single loaded, 4+1, and having the 7 or so extra shells right there and handy is nice. ive had it about 4-5 yrs now and its still holding up well. if it were on a truck gun or something that got exposed to a lot of sunlight, id imagine the elastic would deteriorate quickly, but keeping it in the rack for maybe 350 or so days a yr, its still like new. i also cut a slit for the sling swivel stud, it works very nice because it stops it from migrating up and down the stock.

Tactical shottys are neat if not over done, i only have a .410 plane Jane gun i got form a pawn shop for my home defense gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12