Thread: What is the state

What is the state

of this forum? How do you people feel of our new home. I see that we are seeming to gather new members, which is very good, young blood so to speak. For me I am very comfortable here, but comfort is not always good. I remember more discord at the old forum almost like factions sometimes. Some chose not to return.........
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Maybe because it is turning into the Non-Gun forum.All the good info is gone to the old GN

funny you should ask,i answered an ad here locally for a 25 cal raven and when i wentr to pick it up ,i ran into a former membre here,PROTECTOR i think he said was his userbname,well we got to talking about how fun this place used to be etc>(he said he was banned from here years ago)./anyhoo the thing i miss is the for sale forums.like back when k-31s were 100 bucks m/ns were 50 ,romy g1 likts 100 shipped,it seemed like i knew more people too (prolly because i bought tons of stuff here,getting to know people on a more intimate level (for lack of a better term).

Quote Originally Posted by shotdown61 View Post
    Maybe because it is turning into the Non-Gun forum.All the good info is gone to the old GN
    I always thought everyone should atleast post in one gun forum before posting in the nongun discussion forum.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

A lot of the NON-General Dsicussion people moved on and still are not back. I think the old data base would help; a lot of history, of "how to" there. There would be far more search hits.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

PROTECTOR? I remember that handle and some turmoil, but not specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    A lot of the NON-General Dsicussion people moved on and still are not back. I think the old data base would help; a lot of history, of "how to" there. There would be far more search hits.
    this.

GN is but a shadow of its former self without the old data. yes we can try to "rebuild" but a lot of the old info is lost to the ashes of time.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The old board was heavy with AK's and milsurps. We had very active sub forums for Rommies, etc. - build forum, and such too. The building is all but dead due to the cost... just not the same. The Romanian guns are still here of course and that does attract new members steadily, but it's not as "new" as it once was.

I personally don't miss a lot of the contencious BS that lead to flame wars and regular and ongoing bans. I have no idea why we don't have as much of that other than perhaps the new crop of mods is less tolerant to it? That's probably a big part - we tend to chase off the instigators before they chase off other members... many don't like having thier threads hijacked and turned into flame fests.. get's old.

That probably accounts for why the RH is so dull these days too - the same people that tended to stir up shit in GD also were regulars in the RH...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by shotdown61 View Post
    So go to arf.com
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Surely the old threads have been saved? Sure would be nice to have an "Archives" forum with all of the old threads... if that's feasible. We sure had some awsome how-to and infromational posts...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

The old "How-To" threads would be nice.

Heck, the bump firing stock that is being sold commercially now was inventied by someone on this site a number of years ago.

Not as much gundiscussion as there once was but I am comfortable. Hell I have 3 times the number of posts here than I did at the old forums,
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    So go to arf.com
    I think this is what OSOK was talking about.It seems some people can not keep there comments to there self.
    I have never been to arf.com but if there was info I am looking for I would go there.I go to other forums like Sig556 forum because I own one
    and get a lot of good info from people that own that rifle.I go were I want dick.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Surely the old threads have been saved? Sure would be nice to have an "Archives" forum with all of the old threads... if that's feasible. We sure had some awsome how-to and infromational posts...
    The old site was pretty much stolen and info on it no longer available without much litigation, and even then there is no guarantee it would be intact. This should also stand as a lesson to anyone storing data on "a cloud" as there is always a possibility that cloud will vaporize.

I too would like to see more true firearm discussion, and wonder if some of the general discussion poster even own a firearm.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

It does seem to be only a shadow of what it once was. I honestly can't remember the last time I even made a gun related post. I guess for me part of it is a lot of the questions/issues are "been there done that" and boring. My focus on weapons have also shifted substantially. I really don't care for milsurps at all anymore. I'm mostly interested in weapons I consider practical. This means modern, affordable, accepts standard accessories, and readily available replacement parts.