Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maximum effective range of 9mm from a rifle?

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

It was reported that this was used out to 300 yards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLisle_carbine

Of course you have to pay off the government for the cool factor.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    But it's a 45. Can't go wrong with a 45 but this is a 9MM discussion.

I wish I could try one out. Always wanted a Tommy gun till I felt how heavy that sucker was and how inconvenient to carry. Still want one anyway, who am I kidding.

I'm betting I could get real close and chummy with that DeLisle

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Wolverine View Post
    i developed a carbine only 9mm load for my hi point 995 carbine that shot 4" at 150 yards and was running about 1500 FPS at the muzzle. im not sure the speed at that distance but with a FMJ bullet it would completely destroy a gallon milk jug full of water.

if youre interested let me know and ill dig out my developmental notes and post them.

SW
    I certainly wouldn't mind getting a look at your load data. If you can do 4" at 150 yards my only question then is what terminal velocity is. I expect it wouldn't be that hard to hit a man sized target at 100 yrds with a 9mm carbine, but I'm really concerned about the terminal ballistics.

This is a bit off topic, but what's the bets 9mm carbine going these days? Does the berretta storm still take glock mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Dafapa View Post
    If not 9mm, what about .40, .45 ACP, or something else (maybe .357 sig or 10mm)?
    The OP opened the .45 door, a horse named DeLisle just wandered into the barn.

What pistol caliber subgun/carbine has the greatest effenicy....

Well 10mm would be in first place, it has the same FPE 75 yards downrange, as a .45ACP that just left the barrel. Plus, 10mm suppresses better than .45.

Second place would be .357SIG, it's FPS rating is amazing. It doesn't have the FPE the mighty 10 has, but it suppresses better.

Tied for third would be the 9mm and .45ACP.....the 9mm suppresses better than all the above, plus the mag capacity is highest.

.45ACP sucks suppressed (no getting around physics), but the .45 easily outclasses the 9mm in FPE...

The worst all around would be a tie also...the .380ACP and .40S&W, both sacrifice so much, suppression isn't worth it, plus they both sacrifice FPS and FPE and mag capacity to boot.....

WTF was I going with this....well I totally forgot what the OP was asking.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    It was reported that this was used out to 300 yards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLisle_carbine

Of course you have to pay off the government for the cool factor.
    LOL 300 yds out of a 45acp...

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    LOL 300 yds out of a 45acp...
    Take it up with the publishers of Jane's Infantry Weapons 1978-79. I didn't say I believe it. Even if it was possible, that would be an imprudent range to do it because at that distance you could not be sure that the elimination of the target would go unnoticed. Sentry disposal at such a range would be suicidal. Assassination at that distance would call for more power.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 02-11-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    Take it up with the publishers of Jane's Infantry Weapons 1978-79. I didn't say I believe it. Even if it was possible, that would be an imprudent range to do it because at that distance you could not be sure that the elimination of the target would go unnoticed. Sentry disposal at such a range would be suicidal. Assassination at that distance would call for more power.
    I would bet drop would be on the order of 10 feet or so...

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I would bet drop would be on the order of 10 feet or so...
    Well my holdover with my 45 is about 16" at 100 yards and 6 1/2' at 200 yards so I would think your 10' might be a little optimistic at 300 yards, I never tried that far with a 45.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Well my holdover with my 45 is about 16" at 100 yards and 6 1/2' at 200 yards so I would think your 10' might be a little optimistic at 300 yards, I never tried that far with a 45.
    I was going to type 15 feet based on my 300 yd 22lr shooting but I think at times people I'm alittle too pessimistic already

out of a 10" barrel with .45

100yds. almost zero drop
    200 yds. about 18"
    300yds roughly 3'
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    out of a 10" barrel with .45

100yds. almost zero drop
    200 yds. about 18"
    300yds roughly 3'
    What are you shooting at 50yds 12 feet high?

Where did those figures come from because I'm with old grump on this, in actually shooting it's got to be much more then that (MUCH).

not meant to be Drop.. but the compensation. so...

In reality wif da erf it is the drop , I'm just aiming higher to make up for gravitee an shit.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Well...Why do you think they put a 200m sight on and UZI, and kept it on there for 40 years...Mp5 is graduated to how far??? Ya think maybe a trained marksman can hit a torso sized target with an UZI at 200m? I can with mine....Easily. (not with +P+P+P+P+P+P or whatever, simple black tip carbine ammo, good hot hand loads, Milspec good stuff)

It's a good smack at 200m, one I would not want to try one of.

I loaded 6.0-6.2grs of (old) Unique under a 115gr Hornady XTP for a carbine load. My 94 (with a 4x scope for consistency) would shoot this load into a 2.0" group at 100m.

Interestingly enough, a decently hot 9mm round from a carbine has about the same trajectory as a HV 22lr, about a 3" midrange on a 100m target, and about 35-40" drop off that 100m zero at 200. The problem I had with the heavier bullets (124gr and up) was the BC gain was not enough to overcome instability due to velocity loss. In essence, while the 147s had a higher BC, they became unstable before the 200yd mark and the accuracy suffered. I got the best results from 115gr bullets that were MOVIN OUT!!! LOL (That HK would split the cases at that pressure sometimes with the chamber flutes and a little mini toe popper would come flying out of the ejec. port.LOL)

Shooting the 9mm at distance all comes down to rate of twist and velocity. It can be done, and it is fun as hell.

ETA...That L7A1 is good schiznik. Like IMI Black tip. Gourmet UZI food!
    Last edited by Rainman; 02-15-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: L7a1
    God Bless America and Type III AKs

My Mp40 has a 100 and 200 meter rear sight on it.

hmmmm, with my eyesight as poor as it is, maybe I should trade my 5.56 for a 9mm subgun?

I wish they were still $500,(hell, I wish they were $2000) but an Hk94 will shoot a MOA group at 100m tuned and fed properly. The SOGs use the Mp5 SD in this role all the time as sentry and doggie whackers. (the Israelis use a cool full length suppressed 10/22 hush puppy) The Hk USC in 45acp performs respectably at 100m. The 40 cal USC could easily be converted to 357 Sig, and be a great 200m rifle in the right hands.

Hell, the AK with stock sights is barely a 200m rifle for my old eyes...LOL
    God Bless America and Type III AKs

Here's a new 9mm carbine.

Hickok 45 think they'll go for around $700

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4Zs...ature=youtu.be

He was hitting at 230 yards with ease.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12