Thread: Maximum effective range of 9mm from a rifle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Maximum effective range of 9mm from a rifle?

I was giving consideration to a 9mm carbine as an "end of the world" type gun and it got me wondering how far out it would be effective? You could try adjusting the powder type to optimize the burn rate for 16" (I'd assume more 9mm is made with 4" barrels in mind), and also choose a more optimal bullet weight. Do you think it would be reasonably effective at 100 yrds? If not 9mm, what about .40, .45 ACP, or something else (maybe .357 sig or 10mm)?

My thoughts are that if you could reach out that far effectively with a 9mm carbine that would negate most of the capability lost by not having something like a .223 rifle. This is assuming you were working in a suburbia type area where you generally don't have very long uninterrupted areas of terrain. Then of course you can use the same ammo in your handgun as well, and its cheaper than .223.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

A few years back some +P+ 9mm military surplus rounds were imported, they were for sub-machine guns only. I used to use them in my UZI and Marlin Camp 9, they were hard hitting and made the Marlin kick ass! Not for pistol use though. I wish I could find some more of those rounds, they were perfect for a 9mm carbine. They made excellent 100 yard shots a breeze!
    Last edited by insider; 02-08-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

I used the L7A1 in my UZI, as well. Great stuff. Haven't seen it advertised in several years.

I'm interested to know what the tactical range is, as well.

I think 100-150yd is possible, that's one thing the 9mm has over the 45acp, I found my camp45 pretty much was done at 75...

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

i developed a carbine only 9mm load for my hi point 995 carbine that shot 4" at 150 yards and was running about 1500 FPS at the muzzle. im not sure the speed at that distance but with a FMJ bullet it would completely destroy a gallon milk jug full of water.

if youre interested let me know and ill dig out my developmental notes and post them.

SW

With a pistol Id say 150yds tops and with that its like lobbing a football.... more or less trying to drop a round on target with the amount of arch you need is like hold over two-three feet to hit something out there ...IDK about a 16'

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Wolverine View Post
    i developed a carbine only 9mm load for my hi point 995 carbine that shot 4" at 150 yards and was running about 1500 FPS at the muzzle. im not sure the speed at that distance but with a FMJ bullet it would completely destroy a gallon milk jug full of water.

if youre interested let me know and ill dig out my developmental notes and post them.

SW
    I certainly wouldn't mind getting a look at your load data. If you can do 4" at 150 yards my only question then is what terminal velocity is. I expect it wouldn't be that hard to hit a man sized target at 100 yrds with a 9mm carbine, but I'm really concerned about the terminal ballistics.

This is a bit off topic, but what's the bets 9mm carbine going these days? Does the berretta storm still take glock mags?

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dafapa View Post
    If not 9mm, what about .40, .45 ACP, or something else (maybe .357 sig or 10mm)?
    The OP opened the .45 door, a horse named DeLisle just wandered into the barn.

What pistol caliber subgun/carbine has the greatest effenicy....

Well 10mm would be in first place, it has the same FPE 75 yards downrange, as a .45ACP that just left the barrel. Plus, 10mm suppresses better than .45.

Second place would be .357SIG, it's FPS rating is amazing. It doesn't have the FPE the mighty 10 has, but it suppresses better.

Tied for third would be the 9mm and .45ACP.....the 9mm suppresses better than all the above, plus the mag capacity is highest.

.45ACP sucks suppressed (no getting around physics), but the .45 easily outclasses the 9mm in FPE...

The worst all around would be a tie also...the .380ACP and .40S&W, both sacrifice so much, suppression isn't worth it, plus they both sacrifice FPS and FPE and mag capacity to boot.....

WTF was I going with this....well I totally forgot what the OP was asking.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!