Thread: Price Check Please

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Price Check Please

It's been a while since I shopped for any French rifles and I've never run across one of these before so thought I'd see if you all had some guesstimates?

The father of a friend/coworker died a while back and he's been bringing in some of his firearms for me to look at. The other day he mentioned had found an old French rifle. Based on what he has told me it's an 1886 Lebel with bayonet and ten cardboard boxes of ammo.

After finding it he recalls seeing it back when he was in high school. He's in his early 40's now so his father had it for at least 25+ years. No idea on it's condition, if it's the correct bayonet, if the ammo is correct and or viable. He's supposed to bring it in for me to take a look at tomorrow.

I know he's looking to buy a rifle off a mutual acquaintance of ours for around $500 and might jump at the chance to get that much for this kit.

I've looked around the auction sites and haven't found too many 1886 Lebels selling. What I did find seemed to run in the $400-$700 range. Corrrect bayonets could go $100depending.

If anyone has an idea on the going rate please let me know. TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thumbs up

Well he brought it in this morning and it was a bitter/sweet meeting. The downside is it's NOT an 1886 Lebel. It is however a Remington Berthier 07/15. From the looks of it I would rate it as virtually unfired and in 98%-99% condtion. Stock is immaculate as is the bore and finish. It has the correct and original sling, bayonet and sheath (both in nearly mint condition though the sheath has a little curve/bend to it). He also found five boxes or Remington Klean Bore 170gr softpoint ammo. Two boxes are unopened, two are opened and one is half full with two loaded, three round clips.

I'll have to research these Remingtons a little more. There are no serial numbers any where on it and I don't see the N stamped anywhere but perhaps there were made at such a time that they didn't require conversion.

All in all it's the most beautiful Berthier I've ever seen. Now comes the hard part, deciding what to offer him? Any thoughts on the value of the various items and the set as a whole? He thought he might have several more boxes of ammo at his fathers house.

Just found one on gunbroker that sold yesterday for $1400 (9 bids). It's no where near as nice as this one is. I'm thinking a fair market price is going to be out of my reach.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 02-20-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Question

Been doing some more checking and have found a few more auctions where rifles in similar or slightly lower condition have brought in the $1200-$1300 range without bayonet and sheath or sling.

Sounds like my coworker might be considering a trade for my Beretta 1201FP (gift from my wife but I know she paid $325 used about 11 years ago) and a S&W 645 in Like New condition I picked up last year for $400 at Gander Mountain.

The Beretta was a gift but even if you consider what my wife paid I have $725 in both guns though retail for both might be higher by a good bit. Last time I checked the 645 was running around $500 and the Beretta maybe $500 as well, maybe a little more.

With that in mind, unless I'm way off on the going rate for the two trade firearms I'm coming out a few $100 ahead on the deal. Don't use the Beretta much since I have a Remington 870 now and haven't even shot the 645.

What to do, what to do?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Sounds like a fun trade that may be profitable... got a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Sounds like a fun trade that may be profitable... got a pic?
    Not yet. I've had the rifle at home for that last week or two cleaning it for him since he doesn't have the tools to remove the two hole screws (been busy with stuff so haven't been working on it much but was going to have it all back together this eveining).

I found one or two little rust spots under the barrel that cleaned up really well with the edge of a penny. No pitting any where though the bolt and butt plate have a patina that I would not remove. Stock is probably 98% and bluing is 99%. Bore and bolt face look like the've never had a round through them.

I've got an 07/15 Mle 16 (coverted to 5rd clips) that is in pretty nice shape though of mixed parts that I shoot so I don't really need this rifle per se, but man is it pretty!
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068