Thread: New AK, needing new optics. Strikefire??

New AK, needing new optics. Strikefire??

I have completely stripped and rebuilt this romanian AK. I have been bored. I started out an AR guy but fell in love with the ruggedness of the AK. Anyway, I am going to be looking into some sights and wanted to get some opinions. I have landed on the Vortex Strikefire Red/Green dot. Has Anyone had any experience with AKs and these sights? I know its no EOtech, but reviews and comments all seem pretty good. Any input would be great. the picture below is what its going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-16-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Funny you mention the Vortex scope as I was just looking at them last night! While I haven't tried one, they do have some good revues, and any optic on an AK does wonders for the accuracy of the rifle.

AKs are more accurate than people give them credit for, and the iron sights that come with them are part of the reason most people have problems with accuracy. Adding a Vortex red/green dot to your AK should make it a really nice, very accurate shooter.

Thanks for the welcome. I think your right. The AKs reputation for accuracy is based on its horrid iron sights. As far as the Vortex goes, the downside I see is a cheap screw on magnifier (though its included), and the lens caps dont look like they fit on very nicely. On the other side, its almost an identical match to theAimpoints out there and a third of the price. I am gonna pick one up on Saturday and see what happens. Thanks for your opinion, I'll let you know what I find.

Well I got my Strikefire today. I have to say I'm impressed. The only gripe I have is the location of the on swirl h but it mounted, zeroed in, and held zero no problem. Best $150 sight I have seen in a while. On a different note, I'm also an EOtech owner. The guy that I got my strikefire from had a newer clone of an EOtech 552. I have seen these before, but he assured me this was different. It was made by Vector Optics. Normally I pay no attention, but this one was mounted on AR-10 as a demo model. After fifty rounds, the damn thing actually held zero. I was fairly impressed. There is no info about this company anywhere really, as they are newer, but I was impressed with what I saw. My 2 cents.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Strikefire!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
    Well I got my Strikefire today. I have to say I'm impressed. The only gripe I have is the location of the on swirl h but it mounted, zeroed in, and held zero no problem. Best $150 sight I have seen in a while. On a different note, I'm also an EOtech owner. The guy that I got my strikefire from had a newer clone of an EOtech 552. I have seen these before, but he assured me this was different. It was made by Vector Optics. Normally I pay no attention, but this one was mounted on AR-10 as a demo model. After fifty rounds, the damn thing actually held zero. I was fairly impressed. There is no info about this company anywhere really, as they are newer, but I was impressed with what I saw. My 2 cents.
    I just bought the strikefire and was wondering how far out to zero it? some say 25yards some say 50! what do you guys think!

I have a Russian Siaga AK47 .. i was going to mount a Bushnel TRS25 on it.. but
    changed my mind .. ordered a Strike Fire which should be here monday... can't wait to take it to the range to pop a few caps... will report my findings next week...

I've had one on an AR for a couple years. I am happy to report it has been a very good optic.