Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we in another ammo drought?

Are we in another ammo drought?

It seems like everywhere I go I can find much, if any ammo in the 4 calibers I have. 9mm, 45acp, 5.56, and 308. Wal-Mart and Meijer don't have anything in 9, 45 and 223 at all! It feels like 2004-05 all over again. I was able to find a box of 147gr 9mm, and a box of 308 at a local shop but I had to search around town. Has anyone had this problem in their local area? I know I can bulk order but its hard keeping up with 4 calibers.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Not here in NW Oregon...
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Not IMO, at least not in central IL area. Went to a "local" super wallyworld (~25 miles north of me) to get some stuff that the local one (one of smallest in country, not a super) didn't have and checked out the ammo selection....and it was pretty full with all the calibers you mentioned, which I also look for. They even have the Tula stuff now, except .308. One of these days I'll grab a box or two of the Tula to try them out.

I try to stick with online ammo buys...better deals, plus the shipping equals or sometimes even less than the money I'd spend in gas to look around locally.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've bought 980 of .223, 250 12ga, 900 8mm in the passed month plus. The 12ga & .223 at the local Wally World.

Need some reloadable .308, 8mm & 7.62x39 with more bullets, powder & primers.

I'm considering a .40 cal in some flavor, there is so much of it locally here its crazy. Its like nobody seems to know it exists. The local Dunhams has a bunch of ammo, and the local gunshop usually does to but their prices are just daylight robbery. I'll probably order some match 308 soon online, since its nowhere to be had here. And just buy a few boxes of whatever I can find as I go. Is the Tula corrosive? I think I heard somewhere that it was. Maybe some pistol ammo in the Tula, but my rifles eat brass only, it makes me feel safer. Although I have fed the AR15 wolf with no issues.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Tula isn't corrosive. Just another brand of steel cased ammo from Russia...prob same exact stuff as wolf, brown bear, silver bear, barnaul, etc......except case coatings of course.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

That's why I picked up an XD-40.

There always seems to be plenty of it available. Even in the darkest days of the ammo shortage when .380 and .45 didn't exist and 9mm would come and go as fast as it got in, there were always boxes of .40 on the shelves.

Haven't noticed any shortages locally, .380 is hit or miss but that's nothing new, 9mm and .45 are readily available. I don't have anything in .223 so haven't paid attention.

I don't see it now, but we are heading into one IMO, they call it an election

One thing is with the cost of ammo today, dealers can't stock alot.

http://gun-deals.com/index.php

You buy your ammo locally? Per box?

What are you new?

BISHOP

Not new to shooting, been in the sport for about 10 years. Just really working on a budget now more than ever with the baby here. When I was working construction I'd order thousands of rounds every 3-4 months. Thanks for the heads up on the Tula.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

The internet is your friend when it comes to buying ammo at a decent price. Here's a good site I've been doing biz with the last year or two:

www.ammunitiontogo.com

Also, check out the "Ammunition Depot" area of GN for a bunch of other 'net providers.

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    http://gun-deals.com/index.php

You buy your ammo locally? Per box?

What are you new?

BISHOP

My thoughts exactly.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    The internet is your friend when it comes to buying ammo at a decent price. Here's a good site I've been doing biz with the last year or two:

www.ammunitiontogo.com

Also, check out the "Ammunition Depot" area of GN for a bunch of other 'net providers.
    I like ammunitiontogo.com and have been buying from them, Aim and Widener's...

+1 for http://gun-deals.com/ammo it's a great place to start. My go to ammo supplier is usually www.SGAmmo.com Great prices and shipping is usually better than most places especially if you're on one of the coasts. He's also just a real nice guy to deal with.

The Philly gun show had nothing and prices are climbing I ordered some JIC ....

Contributor 05/2012

My question is.....did you just come out from under a rock and by your first gun?I buy my groceries and perscriptions at Walmart...I used to do that at Meijers. GO ONLINE!!!!
    Aim Surplus
    Ammoman
    J&G Sales
    Centerfire Systems
    Gunbroker...some good...some bad
    R Guns
    Samco
    Copes
    Coles
    and on and on...

Get out your card,get on the phone or online,order some ammo(BULK IS CHEAPER) and UPS comes right to your door....as long as you are an adult.

Contributor 05/2012

I live north of Howell...would you like to Talk?

Rick

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I try and avoid using walmart as an ammunition availability guage. They are out of all 38 Special at the one in my home town - the clerk told me it was a warehouse out and that he had no idea therefore, when it would be coming in.

I think they just do a crappy job of handling their ammo inventory.

I agree though that if obummer gets reelected (Oh God, please no!) in Nov, then we will see another run on guns and ammo.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

i bought a hi point 40 in teh middle of the panic days for 150$ just so i had something to shoot. 40 never was a panic driven caiber compared to 9mm or 22lr.

right now the oil field buyers have driven prices into teh stratosphere for ammo in the dakotas.

SW

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

http://www.wideners.com/index.cfm
    I always check these guys out for surplus and components. Also Pat's relaoding and Powder Valley.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast