Thread: M70 stock replacement?

M70 stock replacement?

Hello im new to the site and have a question that may be basic but no one knows much about these things. So here I am.
    I am taking my M70b1 and installing new black stocks and grips on it.
    Mainly I want to put a holo sight on it and trick it out but save the wood parts so I can put it back to original if I want to.
    I already put the forend parts on but now im stuck with the stock. Id like the ajustable Ar style.
    The m70 doesnt have the tang like the other ak's right? So your average replacement stock wont fit. Or am I cluless? I havent had it off to look yet either.
    Please enlighten me as to what stock I need to look at and if a folder is an option.
    I know most guys dont appreiate taking off the wood but Im not burning it or anything so be easy on me.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Gennette; 02-14-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

I have the M70 AB1 (underfolder), so not 100% sure on the fixed stock version but would guess that it has an upper stock tang just like any other AKM variant. There should be a metal projection sticking off the rear of the receiver with a screw through it near the end into the stock, and under the locking device for the recoil spring, there should be another screw through the rear trunion and into the stock. Remove those two screws and the stock should come out, assuming the Yugo is like any other stamped AKM.

To install the collapsible stock, I would guess it would be designed to use the same two screw holes as the standard wood fixed stock.

Hope that helps.

PS, I don't have any problems with modifications that can be easily reversed, like just a stock change. What I don't like is when someone takes a rare rifle like a milled receiver Poly Tech Legend, welds the rear of the receiver closed, and cuts holes in the sides for an underfolder. But that is me.

Heres is some pics of my original stock. It doesnt look like the connection I see on any replacements with the screw on top. This just has one bolt through the back right into the receiver.

Attached Images Attached Images

And a few of the rifle without the stock.
    Im at a loss as to what to order when it comes to a replacement ajustable peice.
    Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have to admit, I have not seen that type of stock on a standard AKM. While I haven't spent time with the Yugo M70 with fixed stock, it does appear you have no choice when it comes to what you can install on the back of your rifle.

It will be interesting to hear from others if this is the standard M70 stock design, but I am guessing it is.

Posted some of your pix.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

hmm, i learned something today.

ive never messed with yugo's either, but i have seen build threads and what not of them, and i dont recall ever seeing a setup like that. granted, i could have just not been paying enough attention.

well, after some quick net searching, it looks like thats the way the yugos were. i could not find any lose detailed shots like you posted, and none of them had the screw in there, possibly why i never noticed it before, but i did notice that any stock i saw made for a yugo had that same stock with the nub on the front, and not the traditional 2 step tongue on it like the traditional stamped ak furniture.

as far as what your looking for, i dont know if these will fit, but the nub on the front looks the same, and the ad says something that dosent fit and kind of makes me wonder (btw, im not up on milled ak stocks either, so....)

http://www.parts4ak47.com/ak-47_acce..._receiver.html

notice how it says:
    Tapco T-6 Adjustable Stock, Blackfor Milled AK Receiver

Designed after the Original Galil Pattern and Looks Great. Manufactured for stamped receiver models.
    idk what that means, milled stock for stamped models, but possibly it will fit your stamped yugo. might be worth looking into if nothing else.

if you want to drop almost 2 bills on your folder, i found this:

http://riflestocks.com/store/product35.html

http://riflestocks.com/store/product2.html

Thanks guys. If I get that Ace block a red jacket skeleton stock would fit. I want to stay away from the Tapco stock. I was hopeing to go with the mako but it doesnt look promising.