Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? came from another post. Home shotty...

So, what's the difference b/t #4 bird and #4 Turkey?

I ask b/c I do keep some 3" #4 Turkey loads around and once and awhile consider loading one or two in the shotgun just b/c so many bitch about 00 buck being too powerful.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post

I ask b/c I do keep some 3" #4 Turkey loads around and once and awhile consider loading one or two in the shotgun just b/c so many bitch about 00 buck being too powerful.
    Nothing is the difference, #4 shot is #4 shot unless it's #4 Buckshot. See this chart for sizes of bird to buck shot.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    my preference is OO, however in a pinch

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post

That Fiocchi shell was quite suitable for my my turkey load but I have Estate Hi Vel 2 3/4" #4 and Remington Turkey 3" #6 for my turkey loads, Either will work I just prefer the #4 and the extra 1/4" of shell isn't going to make that turkey any deader. The reason I used the Fiocchi for my test is I buy it by the case and shoot it in practice a lot so it is my dedicated HD load.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    my preference is OO, however in a pinch
    You can shoot cut shells in your gun and your house. Not my my house, my guns and not any gun with a decent choke or you will know pretty quick you just made a boo boo.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Found a cool article on TTAG that would go well with this thread. It shows the results of most common 12 gauge shotgun loads after being fired into ballistic gelatin. Check it out and see how the shells you have in your home-defense shotgun perform:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...arious-rounds/

I also came across this article while browsing. Some of you may have seen it before:

The Box O' Truth: Shooting through walls
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot14.htm
    Last edited by skorpion; 02-20-2012 at 09:44 AM.

I keep it loaded mostly with 00Buck...

But I do keep a side saddle loaded with slugs and practice several times a week doing round change outs. My home defense holds 7 in the tube and one in the chamber if I want, but I only load it with 5 in the tube and chamber clear. If I have a home invader and have to take a precise shot with my Winchester 1300, I am confident I can get a slug in the tube fast enough to send down range within 1.5-2 seconds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12