Thread: Velocity fireams VMAC9 review

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

Velocity fireams VMAC9 review

OK so as you all know the phone booth gun bug bit me. Again. And being as for once i had enough money to do so i bought a Velocity firearms VMAC9 9mm Semi SMG.

only took 2 days to get from Duluth MN to me FFL (surprised teh hell out of me. i wasnt expecting it for a week) and my FFL said the company rep was surprisingly polite and nice to work with.

upon first opening the cardboard shipping box i was greeted with a waterproof plano padded gun case that retails for 30$+ in my neck of the woods.

my next impression was "damn that stinks". whatever grease/oil they pack these in is RANK. But there she was.

took four shop towels to get all the packing grease off it and teh mag they sent with. Surprsingly clean assembly and attention to detail shown compared to most other low budget MAC clones.

stripped it down with several things to note. first unlike most others the VMAC uses a screw and pin for assmbing the upper and lower recivers. the others ive owned used HK-esq spring pins.

thge internals were clean with no trace of assmebly filings or other manufacture debris that is fairy common in budget guns these days. whoever built this took care to do it right.

all the FCG parts appear to be milled, or stamped and them finish milled. there is no trace of the junky FCG parts that these designs are known for. the triger is smooth and crisp, if a little long on teh pull.

the bolt is a fully milled, solid one piece assembly with round, spring loaded firing pin and heavy duty extractor. the ejector rod is stiff solid and made if good steel. i cant mark it with a file so its tough stuff.

the recoil spring appreas heavy duty and the guide rod is solid. the buffer is thicker than any other ive owned.

the action is smooth and tight, and it handles well. teh sights are typical simplistic post and notch MAC. then again this gun is designed for spray and pray action at close range. they dont call em phone booth guns cause clark kent uses em'.

like every other MAC clone ive owned there are a few things i needed ot do right out of the box. take a file to teh trigger guard edges cause they are SHARP! take a dremel and hog out the back plastic grip swell. its simply too big for my hands and the angle is wrong. ten mintues with a dremel and youre good to go. this gun takes sten mags and like every other sten mag, they are a stone bitch to load. takes me around ten mintes to load a 32 rounder. a oading tool helps but its hard on your fingers no matter what.

overall right now with no range time yet this is a solid 8 of 10 gun. quality is WAY higher than i expected and teh assmeblers and makers paid attention to detail. i have to be away on buisness most of teh weekend but barring any disasters sunday afternoon is range testing. saty tuned!

SW

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Not too bad looking. I like the side-cocking charging handle. Let us know how it shoots and whether or not there is trigger slap. I have a Cobray M11 carbine with the worst trigger slap I have ever felt, and seems to get worse the more I shoot it. I'm lucky to get through one magazine before my finger feels like it isn't there any more!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

i had a vulcan for a while that was teh same way but that thing was a total POS. i spent more time fixing it than shooting it.

SW

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Very nice! Congrats! Looking forward to reading your range report.

I'll take a Glock with fun sticks instead.

well the first ragne outing didnt go well at all. appears i may have a mismachined chamber because it will fire and back the case out about 1/8" and it sticks tight. guess i get to find out how good customer service is too!

SW

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I'll take a Glock with fun sticks instead.
    My glock 30 and 27rd KCI mags is alot of fun...

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    My glock 30 and 27rd KCI mags is alot of fun...
    I was leaning toward a Ruger 9mm when I spotted a MAC 10 type weapon. I thought about it for a bit and said, "damn, I should get a Glock and have the best of both worlds." And so I did, and I've never looked back!

Think about it. The Glock is lighter weight, more reliable, longer lasting. Why would I want a heavy, less reliable, gun when I could have the Glock.

No brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I was leaning toward a Ruger 9mm when I spotted a MAC 10 type weapon. I thought about it for a bit and said, "damn, I should get a Glock and have the best of both worlds." And so I did, and I've never looked back!

Think about it. The Glock is lighter weight, more reliable, longer lasting. Why would I want a heavy, less reliable, gun when I could have the Glock.

No brainer for me.
    im a ribid SMG guy. have been since my youth. thats all this is for is a fun gun. i have a glock for serious shooting and self defense carry.

also i talked to a tech today and a new barrel is on its way to me asap.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Wolverine View Post
    im a ribid SMG guy. have been since my youth. thats all this is for is a fun gun. i have a glock for serious shooting and self defense carry.

also i talked to a tech today and a new barrel is on its way to me asap.

SW
    I'd like to be an smg guy, but my wallet won't allow it!

mine doesnt either, but ive completed my gun collection to teh point where i can spend my "gun dollars" on fun stuff instead of filling out gaps in teh collection, buying ammunition for storage, of buying accessories.

SW

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/products.php?cat=30
    I checked these guys make a pretty good M11 type semi pistol. Hadn't seen them in 5 or 6 years. I had considered getting one of ther M10 types in .45 ACP that used Grease Gun mags. Got the mags, never got the gun.

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/products.php?cat=31 M10 type link.

ive looked at MPAs but they dont bring anything to the table that Velocity doesnt, and they cost 150-200$ more. veocity VMAC45s use grease gun mags too and you can get into one for abotu 350$.

SW

am happy to report a new barrel fixed the problem 100%. ran four 32 round mags of WWB bulk and my own lead reloads with zero problems. the people at veocity were very good to work with and took care of me right away. yet anotehr big thumbs up for Veocity.

SW

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Not too bad looking. I like the side-cocking charging handle. Let us know how it shoots and whether or not there is trigger slap. I have a Cobray M11 carbine with the worst trigger slap I have ever felt, and seems to get worse the more I shoot it. I'm lucky to get through one magazine before my finger feels like it isn't there any more!

I had an M11 carbine with really bad slap too!
    видеодон

its actually not bad at all. everything has sharp edges i need to clean up before i can say for sure, but its WAY less than any other semi clone ive owned.

SW

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Wolverine View Post
    its actually not bad at all. everything has sharp edges i need to clean up before i can say for sure, but its WAY less than any other semi clone ive owned.

SW
    Good to hear, thanks for the update.

gonna take it out this weekend and get some helmet cam video. ive got a new mini POV camera im gonna strap on it and see how that works too.

SW