Thread: lighten and balence the bolt help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

lighten and balence the bolt help

i just picked up a WASR 10/63. from what i have shot of it and seen inline the bolt seems to throw the rifle all over. so the plan is to try to put the bolt carries on my buddy's lathe and shave some metal of to balance and lighten it. since i dont have alot of exp. with ak's i would like to know if its a good idea? any advice is appreciated.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

no.

not much information in your post and i know its done with sub machine guns to increase rate of fire and take out recoil what makes an ak diferent

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

which sub-machine guns are you talking about? how do they function? are the ones your mentioning fire from an open bolt? im betting they do. does the ak fire from an open bolt? no. do the ones your speaking of have any kind of lock/delay? im betting they dont. the ak does. it fires from a locked bolt and is gas operated. you are comparing apples and oranges. the operating principles of one have nothing to do with another. from the fact that you cannot tell these things apart alone tell me that you are not familiar with firearms enough at all to even begin to attempt any kind of diy gunsmithing. the carrier your thinking of has remained completely unchanged since 1947, with nearly 65 years of being studied by the top govt engineers from the hundreds of countries that field the weapon, and none of them, with their centuries of combined experience, saw fit to modify said carrier in any way.

now, if your looking for more specific reasons, since you arent at all familiar with the way firearms operate, the simplest way i can put it is that lightening the carrier will make it travel FASTER. which means that it will hit your rear trunnion going FASTER. energy=mass x velocity squared.

putting a stiffer spring in and adjusting the gas flow would fix the slaming issue and please dont presume my knowledge of fire arms. i didnt post this thread to have a pissing contest. i posted it to discuss the possibility of it and if you have an issue with that then take it some where else please

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

The select fire AK actually has a rate reducer in it to make it more controllable during full auto fire. If anything, I would suggest installing a Blackjack buffer in your rifle to prevent the carrier from slamming into the rear of the receiver.

The AK seems to be the reverse of most full auto rifles in that it was too fast to begin with, so had to be slowed down.

With a semi-auto, you really don't have the same issues, but I would suggest the buffer. I personally have a Blackjack buffer in all of the AK variants that I shoot.

If you don't want to go the buffer route, you could get a stiffer recoil spring, but let me warn you they are a bear to replace. Can be done, but not easily.

If any trimming of the carrier is needed, I have seen some that strike the top of the rear sight base. It will leave a witness mark on the carrier top just behind the gas piston. If it is showing signs of a strike in that area, check the gas piston. They are supposed to be loose on the carrier. Century has a habit of welding the piston to the carrier instead of turning it on until snug, then backing off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then pinning. An improperly installed gas piston could also be at the root of the issues you seem to be having.