Thread: Attn Gunsnet Rednecks - need advice on 4x4

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Question Attn Gunsnet Rednecks - need advice on 4x4

I have a broker rep in Arkansas that has a Polaris 4x4 700cc (think its a Sportsman) 2002 that is for sale (actually his Dad's) and he says it's been in the garage for most of its life because his Dad got a Ranger and stopped riding the 4x4. Now this is a good guy and I do trust what he tells me to be true.

They are asking $2500 for this. I don't know the hours but what amount would be reasonable for this price? He told me the only thing they ever had to do is fix the carborator and after that it required no repair - just normal maintenance.

I want this for doing light work around my property - especially going into draws and such that are dangerous or next to impossible to take my tractor. Like when I shoot a buck and it runs down to the lowest, thickest spot it can find to expire....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Did they start it up regularly?

I think that's too much $. No fan of PoPo here. Very old technology there the way the four wheel locks up. You gotta ride it and see if you like it.
    IMO I would not buy. The newer quads are EFI and have much better four wheel drives.

Thanks. Aparently, the speedometer is broken. He's got a ranger and doesn't use this anymore and that's why he's selling. He rode it twice in the last four years - and it's his FIL, not his Dad. His BIL does work on ATV's and is the one that fixed the carburator - the only work done on it - so he probably did the maint on it too. I haven't ridden it - I'm in TX and he's in AR...

So, not a great deal?

I was looking at craig's list and saw plenty of them to choose from - I'm more of a Yamaha or Honda man myself.

Any models in particular that I should be looking for? Honda Rancher?

I know that you probably don't have the money for this but, a few years ago my father purchased a brand new Yamaha Grizzly 700. He's never had any problems with it, and it's a real beast lol. You may want to keep an eye out for a used Grizzly, but beware of who you buy it from. I had a buddy that bought a Honda 400ex, and the thing crapped out on him after a few days. The last owner beat the crap out of it. Personally, I'd buy from a local dealer, and avoid the internet. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I'm thinking "pass" on this right now. I don't need one right away and we have plenty of other things to spend money on.... and I see lots of used 4x4's all of the time.

Polaris wasn't my first pick for make.

Roadhouse Groupee

http://www.atv-411.com/atv-blue-book.html

according to the above link based on my zip code that polaris (excellent condition) has a retail value of a little over $3k so the price doesn't seem out of line

Thanks. Good information. My buddy in MS thought it was a decent price too - he's encouraging me to get a 4x4 as he knows that I'll really need it. He's got two along with a Rino and a ez-go with tilt bed - uses them all, but his place is 150 acres... and he's entertained customers on his place prior to moving up there.

I do like the size of this one - can pull a relatively heavy trailer load with ease and won't have any trouble going up a steep hill with a buck on-board.