Thread: Smith Wesson NM3 32-44 target

Smith Wesson NM3 32-44 target

I have needed help dating old firearms before, and this forum has allways given me the answer...

Here is a new one for you. I was offered a rather good deal on an old Smith Wesson New Model 3 a while ago. Its a target version chambered for the obsolete 32-44 cartridge. Even if it is not an antique its concidered like one just because of that cartridge. I would just like to know how old it is. The serial number is 501. I think its almost impossible to date this as the 32-44 and the 38-44 has a poor record. But maybe someone got an idea anyway.... I know Steve (Gunreference) has a good wall of books on this. I hope he or any other fellow gun nuts has some information..

Thanks...
    Religion... mans victory over common sense...........

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

The New Model 3 Target was produced from 1887 to 1910 with 2930 units in caliber .32-44 S&W. I can't narrow down the date for yours at this time but with that low of a serial # I would think that it would fall into the first couple of years of production.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

That was my guess too. I believe that all of those are concidered antiques because all the parts where made by 1898. And just assembeled after that date. Correct me if Im wrong...

and thank you

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Ditto on pics

That sounds very nice

If you can post any photos I might be able to work backwards based on certain features of the gun based on changes that were made and give you a little closer idea on the date. If not I'll try and list the changes and when they were applied and the next time you look at it you might be able to figure it out.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

It looks like Richard has pretty much nailed this one. If you're wanting specific information on your revolver you'll probably need to contact the S&W Historian. Is this the same firearm you posted about a while back?

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...-32-44-S-amp-W

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Pictures, sorry my bad... they should be down there now...

I think I found the answer, but I would love to read about all the differences among these fine old irons. I found this add just 5 minutes ago...

"New Model #3 Target .32-44 caliber, serial #623, 1888 manufacture~1st year of production for the 32-44 caliber. The 6 1/2” barrel has an excellent bore with some storage pitts near the rear that look deep but may clean up better. Overall NRA Antique Fine with about 60% to 70% original blue. Traces of case colors remain on the hammer and trigger guard with the rest faded to bright grey. Equipped with the rarer and correct fixed-target rear sight along with a tiny Paine bead front. All matching numbers. Mechanically in perfect condition, locks up tight with a crisp action. The HR grips are about VG to fine with only one tiny chip out at the left toe. Factory letter. C05W-SW623 SOLD"

So the one Iv been looking at got to be a first year production too...

Pictures..... here you go.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see by the second photo why Im getting a rather good deal on this one. I guess its been stuffed away in a holster for a longer perioud. And the cylinder stop doesnt work, but its there. Im guessing that the spring is either broken or missing. But that is fixable.

Thumbs up

Wow! That is nice. Maybe I should start taking an interest in the top break S&W's.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Thumbs up

Yes, very nice!!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

So you remember the one I asked about earlier Steve. No, this is another one. I bought the 44 target I asked about back then. It was in extremely good shape. The bore looked like new. Needless to say, I addicted to top break model 3. I wish I could find a decent Schofield, but they are pretty hard to find.
    I would need an American and an Old model Russian too to get the collection complete. The ones I find are too hard on my bank account.

I have a soft spot for percussion revolvers too. Addictive stuff.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Nice - very nice. Thanks for the pics!!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

NIIIIICE!!!