Thread: Simplest tube gun or pistol caliber carbine design?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Question Simplest tube gun or pistol caliber carbine design?

I've been kicking around a few ideas about what type of weapon could by easily manufactured in a bad situation. This got me to wondering what's the simplest possible pistol caliber carbine? I'm inclined to think the sten gun is about as simple as it gets. But I know there are other comparable weapons. Could anyone share some suggestions? Bonus points if you have schematics.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

What was the throw away one shot pistol we were dropping into france? That looked pretty simple. Probably jennings stole the design..... LOL

here you go:
    http://forums.filefront.com/fh-off-t...le-pistol.html Liberator

I apologize, you meant rifle/carbine.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 02-26-2012 at 02:29 AM.

I'd also wondered about the simplest handgun design, but decided a practical handgun would be far too complex. I think the liberator lacks a few important features...like rifling. BTW, I found out the liberator concept made a comeback in viet nam. Basically it was the same idea but in 9mm and called the deer gun it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_gun. Like the liberator it doesn't look like it was every of much use.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Dafapa View Post
    I'd also wondered about the simplest handgun design, but decided a practical handgun would be far too complex. I think the liberator lacks a few important features...like rifling. BTW, I found out the liberator concept made a comeback in viet nam. Basically it was the same idea but in 9mm and called the deer gun it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_gun. Like the liberator it doesn't look like it was every of much use.
    Think they would be a good use to gain yourself a rifle or subgun in a close situation when you don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Think they would be a good use to gain yourself a rifle or subgun in a close situation when you don't have one.
    My understanding is it wasn't really used much in WWII because the nazis would conduct reprisals against the civilian population for any nazi troops killed. That and most of them were recovered from the air drops by the germans. The deer gun never got used because viet nam turned into a real war. I do kind of like the idea of making it from an aluminum casting for the deer gun. I wonder how the trigger mechanism worked?

Rubber bands and nails?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..