Thread: Am I the only person here who does not get the whole Chicom AK thing?

was_peacemaker

Am I the only person here who does not get the whole Chicom AK thing?

I have handled a variety of Chinese AK's and SKS. I fail to see how they are any better or more accurate than than Romanian, Bulgarian, or Egyptian peers. I have seen Chinese rifles with hit and miss finishes, sights and what not.

One thing I will admit is that the Chinese rifles do seem to have slicker moving actions. They don't feel as tight as some of the Eastern European weapons. Its just with function and accuracy I have never seen much difference.

So am I missing something?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    I have handled a variety of Chinese AK's and SKS. I fail to see how they are any better or more accurate than than Romanian, Bulgarian, or Egyptian peers. I have seen Chinese rifles with hit and miss finishes, sights and what not.

One thing I will admit is that the Chinese rifles do seem to have slicker moving actions. They don't feel as tight as some of the Eastern European weapons. Its just with function and accuracy I have never seen much difference.

So am I missing something?
    Yep.

was_peacemaker
    Well please enlighten me. Because I have owned Chinese SKS and didn't see where they were any better than other SKS on the range. I have also handled and fired Chinese AK's and didn't see any performance differences between them and other AK variants.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Not as much the SKS's but the AK's...

Except for the pre-ban Yugos, Zavasta factory built, the Chinese AK's have the best fit & finish of any of the varieties. They have without a doubt the best out of the box trigger group of any of the AK's. The standard receiver thickness is 1.5 mm on the AKM's vs. 1 mm on the Russian/Euro patterns AKM's. There were a lot of variations that are very collectible. The 84's are likely the most accurate factory AKM ever built. I've seen fewer problems in quality with Chinese AK's than almost any other variety.

What's not to like?

Polytech Legend.
    Nuf said.

BISHOP

Dude, they are "cooler" cause they are rare cause of the stupid ass import ban. If they were still being imported they would be just like any other AK out there and would probably run in $700.00-$900.00 range. Are they a great ak? Sure, but all things being equal are they worth the premium over a Siaga? Nope.
    Last edited by gpwasr10; 02-25-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

I dont get it myself.

All of the china aks,sks,i have,or have had,they are nothing to write home about.imo.the nat match isnt bad,but,its no bulgy,and esp no valmet.imo,valmets are buy far the best.my valmets are the most accurate aks ive ever shot.hands down.

I look at it as a numbers game.....

There are thousands of Chicom AK's in country....

The Norinco models alone outnumber the Yugo, Hungarian, Egyptian etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love 'em all, but for what people are asking for chicom AK's, I'd rather spend my money somewhere else.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Chinese AK's are the best! You buy now!!!!!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Chinese AK's are the best! You buy now!!!!!
    We love you long time......

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    We love you long time......
    Now we need a Asian bouncy boob smiley!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

The Chinese prebans are as good as any other, I really don't consider them any better but they are no worse. Postban the Chinese guns suffered from some of the same issues we've seen in the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Now we need a Asian bouncy boob smiley!
    You asked for it-

Are those boobs yes, is that an AK no...

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Are those boobs yes, is that an AK no...
    OOOPS VZ-58

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Chinese AK types often originally sold for less than $200. Most I ever paid for one was $350. Their receivers are 1.5 mm thick because the metal they have is weak and they couldn't make a receiver only 1 mm thick without it breaking. Polytechs had nice barrels / rifling. I've seen Norinco rifles that made files look smooth by contrast. Quality varied a lot on NORINCO branded rifles, especially by the time we get the Mak 90 in the market place.

I'd rather have a preban Sa-85M Hungarian than any Chicom gun personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Chinese AK types often originally sold for less than $200. Most I ever paid for one was $350. Their receivers are 1.5 mm thick because the metal they have is weak and they couldn't make a receiver only 1 mm thick without it breaking. Polytechs had nice barrels / rifling. I've seen Norinco rifles that made files look smooth by contrast. Quality varied a lot on NORINCO branded rifles, especially by the time we get the Mak 90 in the market place.

I'd rather have a preban Sa-85M Hungarian than any Chicom gun personally.
    I agree with you on the SA-85 Hungarian, but where did you get that info on the Chinese receivers? My research indicates they went with the thicker receiver because they were able to used milled receiver parts with the 1.5mm stamped receiver. The Russians were the ones who had trouble bending receivers without breaking them. Personally, I would take a milled receiver over a stamped one any time.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I agree with you on the SA-85 Hungarian, but where did you get that info on the Chinese receivers? My research indicates they went with the thicker receiver because they were able to used milled receiver parts with the 1.5mm stamped receiver. The Russians were the ones who had trouble bending receivers without breaking them. Personally, I would take a milled receiver over a stamped one any time.
    Why?
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton