Thread: Jumped on the .40 S&W bandwagon today!

Jumped on the .40 S&W bandwagon today!

I never knew .40 S&W was so bad ass. I shoot a lot of 9mm and some .45 Acp and decided to fill the gap due to how common .40 cal is. I picked up a Smith and Wesson M&P full size model to go with my M&P15T. And the guys at the range comped me a box of Blazer and free range time, really cool of them. Recoil I thought was very smooth and possibly smoother than my G19's. I'll post pics pretty soon.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    That's cool. I almost went that route, but ended up with .45 ACP. If I get around to buying a compact, I'm getting .40 S&W.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    that's my current car round. If you're looking for sd ammo there is some winchester 180grain stuff floating around in generic white boxes (not the stuff from walmart) that seems good, I'm about positive it's their ranger bullet in a plain brass case.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

If you like the .40 S&W you should check out the 10mm. I've got a Glock 35 that is a joy to shoot with pretty much any .40 S&W load but shooting my G29 or S&W 610-2 revolver in 10mm leaves the .40 in the dust.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

40 Short and Week

I don't own one because I've got 9mm, 45ACP and yeah 10mm. Not to mention all of the revolver rounds...

But seriously, there is a lot of 40 S&W ammo available and it's a good round for social work.

Congrats on your new pistol!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I considered getting a conversion barrel for my G20, but decided I'd rather have a dedicated .40.

The main advantage is it gives you better power in a 9mm size platform, so why have a big ol' honkin' pistol to shoot .40?

I went with an XD40-V10 Service model. It's the ported version of their compact pistol.

Very nice shooter with great ergonomics and handles the .40 just fine.

Considering the wide variety of .40 ammo and it's availability I like the idea of having a nice .40 in the line-up.
    Last edited by weevil; 02-25-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I really like how available ammo is locally and online. Next in the line up of pistols to get is a 10mm auto for sure. I've read its the hand of God in a semi auto. I've never had the need for a revolver for capacity reasons. Always liked detachable magazine firearms with moderate capacity. I carry a G19 Gen 3 and G19 Gen 4 for my CCW carry and like a bit of meat to my handguns. I've owned a few compact guns and find them hard to shoot with any comfort. I broke my right hand some years back and it troubles me to grip smaller guns. My fiance wants the M&P so it'll mostly be her range gun or go to if needed for home defense if I'm working, or at least that's the excuse she gave me to run out and get it. My lady is so cool about me getting new toys, as long as she gets to play too.

Hopefully this pic works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Nice Smith.

An M&P was right there at the top of my list when I was in the market for a 40.

But a good deal on the XD came along and I jumped on it.

The XD was on my list but not at the top, I don't like the high bore-axis with it's rolling recoil especially with a .40 and it's stout snappy recoil.

However this one was ported and the porting does a great job of keeping of keeping the muzzle down. I really liked this one after shooting it. I've also added a small laser that also keeps the front down.

The .40 is good caliber but it needs the right platform. I had a Glock 27 a few years back and I never did get used to the funky twisty-torquey feel it had.

I like this one though and I also liked feel of a friend's M&P I shot.

I think they've gotten to where they're actually designing pistols with the .40 in mind instead of just being converted 9s like a lot of the early .40 pistols. The M&P is prime example of this new generation of pistols designed during the age of the .40.

Nice XD, I didn't know they came in ported models anymore. I looked at some XD's because I've owned 2 xd 9's and 1 .45. The .40 seemed to not have enough in the mag, so I looked at the XDM versions and that seemed to be better. But also looked at some Glock .40s. Being a Glock guy, but the M&P I guess just had the light shining down on it. I actually thought about it a lot as I saved up the cash. The new generation of guns coming out these days are being well thought out in regards for being attractive to many peoples needs and wants. With features not seen several years ago. Replaceable back straps for example, before those you'd have to be really selective on what fits just right.