Thread: Kalashnikov rate reducer

Kalashnikov rate reducer

I'm not sure if this belongs in GD since it's partially gun related and partly not!

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of you have bump fired an AK and had it jam because the trigger got pulled too quickly.

I was wondering.... what if I put in JUST a rate reducer into the FCG?

A rate reducer does not make a machinegun and indeed some Kalashnikovs do not have a rate reducer at all, so *legally* I'm sure it's OK.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I have the feeling that a rate reducer would:

* have no effect at all on single shots
    * slow down the action enough during bump firing to prevent jams

Ideas? Comments?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Guess it can't hurt to try it.

Looking at how the rate reducer works, I don't think it'll do anything to solve the problem.

The problem w/ bump-firing is the hammer drops to early, following the carrier home. Fortunately the nub on the rear of the bolt carrier is designed to prevent slam-fires. Therefore the rifle "jams".

All the rate reducer does is retard the hammer slightly so that there is a slight delay between when the auto-sear disengages the hammer and when the hammer actually drops.

Without an auto-sear, you'll still have the hammer dropping before the bolt carrier is all the way forward (if the trigger is pulled too early). All the rate reducer might do is retard the hammer long enough to have the weapon actually go off before the bolt is fully into battery, causing a dangerous slam-fire.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

I think that covers about all of it. Excellent reply J...

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    All the rate reducer might do is retard the hammer long enough to have the weapon actually go off before the bolt is fully into battery, causing a dangerous slam-fire.
    Not really. Like all telescoping bolt designs, the firing pin is too short to reach the primer until the bolt is fully closed. You might be able to get a partially-locked breech slamfire, but never an OOB, from this condition.

Quote Originally Posted by circuits View Post
    Not really. Like all telescoping bolt designs, the firing pin is too short to reach the primer until the bolt is fully closed. You might be able to get a partially-locked breech slamfire, but never an OOB, from this condition.
    The AK bolt isn't a telescoping bolt. Once the hammer clears the bolt carrier, it can make contact with the firing pin. Since there isn't anything keeping the firing pin from protruding from the breech face when the bolt is not fully closed, out of battery ignition is a real possiblity.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    The AK bolt isn't a telescoping bolt. Once the hammer clears the bolt carrier, it can make contact with the firing pin. Since there isn't anything keeping the firing pin from protruding from the breech face when the bolt is not fully closed, out of battery ignition is a real possiblity.
    You must have different AKs than I do. The bolt telescopes within the bolt carrier body. The bolt is closed one half inch before the carrier is fully forward, from there on out, it's camming locked. The tang on the carrier prevents the hammer from touching the back of the firing pin for about another quarter inch. The FP is long enough (I was thinking of the geometry of an AR bolt and carrier), but not exposed to the hammer until the bolt is already closed and at least partially locked.

It is not possible for the hammer to slam-fire OOB - at best it could touch the firing pin when the bolt's only cammed halfway locked.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by circuits View Post
    You must have different AKs than I do. The bolt telescopes within the bolt carrier body. The bolt is closed one half inch before the carrier is fully forward, from there on out, it's camming locked. The tang on the carrier prevents the hammer from touching the back of the firing pin for about another quarter inch. The FP is long enough (I was thinking of the geometry of an AR bolt and carrier), but not exposed to the hammer until the bolt is already closed and at least partially locked.

It is not possible for the hammer to slam-fire OOB - at best it could touch the firing pin when the bolt's only cammed halfway locked.
    thats how mine work too.

not that an oob discharge isint possible, just not like that.

Did it work?

With the differances in tolerances and machining, the nube on the bolt carrier may not always keep a "firing out of battery" from happening. In fact, a lot of AKs will snap the hammer when slammed butt first on the ground, cocked and with the saftey on. It's a good idea to always test your gun, just to make sure.