Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you carry a knife?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Why don't you carry a knife?

Beings that this is the "Knife Forum" most of those that post here obviously carry and or have some interest in knives and knife collecting but given the lack of posts it just got me to wondering if perhaps knives aren't a part of mosts peoples lives and if so why not?

Not really speaking to the tactical knife crowd or the hunter/camping/ bushcraft folks but just your everyday man and woman. I'd wager that 100 or even 50 years ago just about every adult male and most boys had a knfe of some kind in their trouser pocket or even on their belt. When and why did folks stop carrying a blade?

There is almost never a day that I leave the house without at least one knife on me. Granted I may not use that particular knife even once throughout the day but even so I've never had a day where I was glad I didn't have a knife. For me carrying a knife is as common as putting on my watch, putting my keys or wallet in my pocket. It's just what I do.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I do carry a knife.

I feel naked without one. I use it just about every day. Mostly use it as a box cutter... which is hard on the edge, but there are many other uses as well.

Only reason not to carry one is if you travel and fly a lot or are otherwise not permitted by "the man" to have sharp objects. I hate it when I fly which is often but I check my bags because, you guessed it, I have a knife in my bag so that I can have it in my pocket wherever I'm going.

I have been known to take a gun (another useful tool) too when the destination is a non-communist state.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

To me a knife is part of the uniform, wallet, keys, phone, eye drops, ccw, small flashlight, pen, knife, sometimes two. I carry a Gerber multi-tool plus a Gerber Evo. I use the hell out of the multi-tool and the Evo is useful for all kinds of task.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

If I forget a knife, or my cell phone, I feel naked. A knife is as much a part of me, as shoes...
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Usualy at least one 'Real' knife, and a little swiss army knife on my keychain at all times. Sometime a 3rd in my boot

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Never don't have a knife is rule #1.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If I'm wearing pants I'm carrying a knife. If I was to wear Kilts it would be a BIG knife.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I carry a knife every day. Always have. I'd feel naked without it, and I always find it to be a useful tool.

I think the reason a lot of folks don't carry them is because they've been indoctrinated to think of a knife as only a weapon and not the indispensable tool that they are. Along the same lines as firearms. It's a back slide in evolution in my mind (man has always used knives).

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I always carry a pocket knife, cause you just never know when you might need to cut something.

I think the reason why some people don't carry knives, is that the law may vary from city to city.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I think the reason why some people don't carry knives, is that the law may vary from city to city.
    True. There are at least several states and cities, New York comes to mind that have some issues with blades that can be opened with one hand or by flicking. A while back when DPX came out with a folder they were tightening down the pivot so the knife could not be easily opened so some purchasers wouldn't have issues when receiving the knife though now that I think of it that may have been for folks in Canada but they did it too all the knives.

Ideally you do what you can to overturn the laws and find something legal to carry in the mean time. Don't know how many times I see folks, for something as minor as opening a package, try to use their car keys, a pen, their teeth. Having a knife just seems so practical, at least to me.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-21-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet SILVER 04/2010 / Super Moderator

Always have one on me. And. like others in this thread, feel naked without one.

Also, I spent some time training with Jim Harrison (http://sakurabushidokan.homestead.com/home.html) one of the things he stressed during training is to always carry a weapon...anything, knife, gun, stick,keybotan..in fact, he said, that if he runs into a student of his outside the school and finds them unarmed, he takes that student down by one belt level

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York

Sharp? Of course it's sharp!

I alwayss carry a knife, I've had a good knife ever since boyscouts. I have collected quite a few over the years for fishing, hunting, scuba ect. The most expensive knifes I have is a set of JA Henkels chefs knifes. I had to sand, patch, and paint the back of my fathers shed because of all of the digs from my throwing knife. Us kids used to play mumbeldie peg....still have a scar on my foot from that....of course you are never part of the club until you cut yourself.
    Just me and my monkey....

Quote Originally Posted by binky59 View Post
    I alwayss carry a knife, I've had a good knife ever since boyscouts. I have collected quite a few over the years for fishing, hunting, scuba ect. The most expensive knifes I have is a set of JA Henkels chefs knifes. I had to sand, patch, and paint the back of my fathers shed because of all of the digs from my throwing knife. Us kids used to play mumbeldie peg....still have a scar on my foot from that....of course you are never part of the club until you cut yourself.
    Thanks for posting. How about some info on your collecting? Maybe some favorites you've had or have?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Always carrying a knife, usually a fast one. Sometimes I'll knap a quick blade from flint or glass while in the woods and carry that too. They usually break after a bunch of use, but only really use them for simple stuff. I like combat style knives and tomahawks too.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Never carry a knife unless I'm in the woods. Just don't need the extra bulk. Keys, wallet and occasionally carrying a cell phone irritate me enough.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Never carry a knife unless I'm in the woods. Just don't need the extra bulk. Keys, wallet and occasionally carrying a cell phone irritate me enough.
    Thanks for posting. If I may ask, what do you carry when you're in the woods?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I carry a simple buck knife.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    I hear that, some days I wish men had a reasonable way to carry a purse!

I seem to have so much crap, and in the summer with no coat its even worse.

As a kid I always had my boy scout knife (medium folder), then went to a Swiss army in my teen years, in my 20's it was an ultra light Gerber folder, maybe a 3 1/2 inch blade.

I stopped carrying maybe 2 years ago, which is strange because I'm living in a worse neighborhood.

Huh? I just realized, I guess I quit carrying right after my divorce!

I wonder if that is some sort of subconscious thing?

I just got my brother a nice US made Kershaw for his birthday this Saturday and started thinking about picking up a little folder for myself to carry again.

My Gerber has gone missing, my old buck is way to heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    I hear that, some days I wish men had a reasonable way to carry a purse!

I seem to have so much crap, and in the summer with no coat its even worse.

As a kid I always had my boy scout knife (medium folder), then went to a Swiss army in my teen years, in my 20's it was an ultra light Gerber folder, maybe a 3 1/2 inch blade.

I stopped carrying maybe 2 years ago, which is strange because I'm living in a worse neighborhood.

Huh? I just realized, I guess I quit carrying right after my divorce!

I wonder if that is some sort of subconscious thing?

I just got my brother a nice US made Kershaw for his birthday this Saturday and started thinking about picking up a little folder for myself to carry again.

My Gerber has gone missing, my old buck is way to heavy.
    What are you looking for in a knife, maybe we can offer some suggestions?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast