Thread: Would this reload technique for the AK potentially damage the mag well?

was_peacemaker

Would this reload technique for the AK potentially damage the mag well?

I see this is becoming popular and maybe plastic or bakelite mags wouldn't damage the mag well, but I would assume the force of banging steel mags around like this could.

What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHYARkMZiig

I don't see why it would damage hte mag well. I could posibly see it damaging the mag release lever over time. That would be easy to replace though.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

yeah after a while that will lose its shape and the mags will just fall out ...

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

that is known as the "spetznaz reload". that is how russian special forces are trained to change AK mags.

SW

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    yeah after a while that will lose its shape and the mags will just fall out ...
    Thats what I was thinking if one was using steel mags, but I wonder if the plastic or bakelite would wear on the mag well.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Wolverine View Post
    that is known as the "spetznaz reload". that is how russian special forces are trained to change AK mags.

SW

Yeah, I have noticed that in other vids. I guess they have the luxury of getting new guns if they mess theirs up though.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yeah, I was going to say - this is a technique used by guys that have disposable weapons... basically.

But I have to say, if you're in a life/death situation, the last thing you're going to be concerned about is adding wear to your AK....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I don't bang my mags around like that, but the underhand bolt charge is much more ergonomic than trying to reach around overhand.

I dont know but, to me, he was barely tapping the mags and they were falling out. Did he somehow modify the mags or the rifle to make this happen? I do know for a fact that I would have to hit my mags a hell of a lot harder than he was! The way it looked, you could hit them with the butt of your hand and save an extra motion.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

its kinda nice being able to drop a mag with your trigger finger, shove a fresh one in, and then wack the bolt catch with your left hand on the way back to your firing position on an AR, if you are a righty that is.