Thread: My gun show magnum...

My gun show magnum...

Repro 18th century magnum that is Picked this up today for $75, says made in West Germany and it is big. The bore is slightly under the size of a quarter and for scale I took it's picture next to my full size glock 21 (45acp). I figure I'll give it to the son on his return later this year as he loves big firearms...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mriddick; 03-03-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Nice pistol. How does it compare to a 12 bore? That thing would be fun to shoot.

You stole that at $75.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Does the frizen actaully spark? I'd take it apart and make sure it really is a firearm vs. a wall hanging ornament. That's way too cheap.

It does spark alittle but I'm not sure if the spring is weak or if I have the flint set wrong as it tends to stop short. There is a hole in the side, it does seem functional complete with hole in the side of the pan. I really don't know if it's a decoration or not but I'm not planning on firing it either... The muzzle is tapered for the first inch or so from .885 down to 75 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Does the frizen actaully spark? I'd take it apart and make sure it really is a firearm vs. a wall hanging ornament. That's way too cheap.
    I agree that it's a really good price for it, but I've seen a lot of gun show sellers selling their "older, traditional" style BP firearms at really cheap prices because most of the buyers are looking for the newer in-lines. They aren't interested in the older models. So, the sellers drop their prices to get rid of something they think won't sell. Gun shows are some of the best places to find BP deals/steals if you're into traditional styles.

I'm guessing that pistol is a .69 caliber. I have a .69 caliber, smoothbore flintlock rifle that matches my Charleville .69 pistol. I got that one from my FIL for $100 because he didn't want it and knew he'd never shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    It does spark alittle but I'm not sure if the spring is weak or if I have the flint set wrong as it tends to stop short. There is a hole in the side, it does seem functional complete with hole in the side of the pan. I really don't know if it's a decoration or not but I'm not planning on firing it either... The muzzle is tapered for the first inch or so from .885 down to 75 cal.
    From the pic, it looks to me like the flint is upside down. Ive had better luck (and spark) with the longer edge up. If that doesn't work, your flint might need reknapping or replacing with a new one. You might, also, try setting the flint a little farther forward of where it is now, so it contacts the frizzen sooner in its arc.

I saw you wrote it was .75 caliber. Nice. It would make a great shot pistol. If you want round balls for it, Dixie should be able to make up a batch for you, or they may already them in stock.

It looks like it's built to be a shooter. Wall mounts usually substitute cheap steel, or cast iron for the moving parts and don't make the barrels so thick-walled.
    Last edited by alismith; 03-03-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    From the pic, it looks to me like the flint is upside down. Ive had better luck (and spark) with the longer edge up.
    That worked, now it travels the full arc, thanks The spark still seems on the weak side so I'll try and find a new flint next

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    That worked, now it travels the full arc, thanks The spark still seems on the weak side so I'll try and find a new flint next
    If the striking edge of the flint isn't sharp, then it won't spark as well as it should. When you look at flints, make sure to check the striking edge and it should be straight and sharp. Dixie sells a knapping kit and flint blanks, but I've never gone that route yet. I may have to soon, thought, as my 4 gauge requires a very large flint that isn't sold commercially. I lucked out at a gun show about 20 years ago and bought 6 from a guy selling gun parts. He seemed rather glad to get rid of them. Instead of a leather patch to hold the flint, mine uses a small lead sheet to hold it in place.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up

You're not going to test it out for your son? Remember that the ball is undersized compared to the bore to allow for the patch. I'd load 50 grains of FFFG by volume and see how that does.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I looked at the pic again it it appears it's missing the original ramrod. My guess is that the original one was metal with a flat, flared end to seat the load. You might want to check upcoming gun shows and see if you can find one that is close to the original one (just for looks, of course).

If your son doesn't like it, let me know. I know where it can find a good home.

Found out what model it is, it's a Hy Hunter Buccaneer that is oddly unmarked as to model (maybe bought as a kit???).

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

I think it's pretty cool. Load that bad boy up with a handful of #9 shot or maybe some 0000 Buck and have at it.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Put just a pinch of powder in the pan and the barrel. Then load a ping pong ball in it! You can safely test it this way, and shoot flys inside the house. Unplug the smoke alarm first.

Hang on to that thing. Wow!

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Wow! Don't blow your balls off with that thing!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.