Thread: I need help identifying a rifle

Question I need help identifying a rifle

My best friend received a rifle from his wife's cousin a few years back while he was in Afghanistan.

This is the only photo I can get to upload (I don't know why the other's won't)....

It is a bolt action and dated 1879.

Does anybody recognize that mark ?

Again I have more pics, but for some reason they will not upload.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Russian Berdan II rifle.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Looks like Richard nailed it. They one you posted about is missing the rear sight.

Richard got it !!!

Thank you so much sir !

Schuetz- It has the rear sight. I flipped it up into it's horizontal/up right, postion because it wasn't allowing my pos camera phone to stay focused on the receiver marking.

What I don't get, is that his has no cyriallc markings at all, and the sling swivel's are in different locations than the one pictured above.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Richard got it !!!

Thank you so much sir !

Schuetz- It has the rear sight. I flipped it up into it's horizontal/up right, postion because it wasn't allowing my pos camera phone to stay focused on the receiver marking.

What I don't get, is that his has no cyriallc markings at all, and the sling swivel's are in different locations than the one pictured above.
    Being in Afghanistan it has probably been reworked by the natives numerous times. It might potentially be a copy by Pakastani arms makers, but they usually are meticulous in copying any marks on the weapon as they don't know what is relevant or not. Almost like the weapon including it's markings are a magic spell that must be repeated perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Being in Afghanistan it has probably been reworked by the natives numerous times. It might potentially be a copy by Pakastani arms makers, but they usually are meticulous in copying any marks on the weapon as they don't know what is relevant or not. Almost like the weapon including it's markings are a magic spell that must be repeated perfectly.
    That makes perfect sense.

I am going over to his place again next weekend. I will take my real camera and take some detailed photo's of her.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

They were manufactured in the time period that tastes in the placement of swivels was changing. Before the 1890s most rear swivels were on the front of trigger guards. After circa. 1891 that placement of the rear swivel was reserved for parades and the rear swivel had migrated to half way to the butt on the stock behind the trigger guard.

The front swivel also made a rearward pilgrimage though not as dramatic or as visually striking.