Thread: new England Partner Combo 22LR-410...

new England Partner Combo 22LR-410...

Was going to purchase it for some rabbit hunting this fall. What to see if anyone here has one know any bad things about it. Its only $149 in my neck of the woods. I like the youth stock size and the weight, 3lbs total.
    If I'm the only one here that has one, I can leave my reviews on it plus pics.
    Roger
    First Join on Jan 20th 2000

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well I don't have one so post away.

Well, its a Rossi matched set 22LR/410 youth. It real handy to carry and I love the weight, 3 1/2 lbs for the shotgun barrel and 4lbs for the 22LR. The 22LR barrel is drilled and tapped for a scope which I'm going to need due to my bad eyes.
    The 22LR barrel is 18 1/2" and has the glow dot type sights. At 27 paces, I was hitting or almost hitting a plastic coke bottle shooting off hand. It ejects the spent case a good 3-5 feet. It was just fun to shoot!
    The 410 Barrel is 22" and a simple brass bead sight. I loaded a #8 2 1/2" shell and aimed at the coke bottle. I fired and holy crap does that little bitch kicked. Now, I'm 5"11" and 220 lbs and love shooting 30'06 and 30-30 rifles and this little gun kicked worse that! Its on par to my 7mm mag! I shot it 5 times and that was it for today! Maybe with a Heavy jacket and shooting rabbits, it might kick less, but going to look for a recoil pad for it today.
    I paid $150 for it and its worth it. It be an idea survival gun for the truck or atv. Broken down the combo fits in a case thats 24"X8"X2"
    Going to sight it once I get a scope and post more about it.
    RogerLee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Exclamation

Your post about how much it kicks really surprises me. Would of never guessed that.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Your post about how much it kicks really surprises me. Would of never guessed that.
    it's probably due to the small size and definitely due to the weight. Single shots have always tended to kick pretty much.

I've always thought the multicaliber singleshots were a good idea, and I've never heard anything bad about New England/H&R

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I grew up with and still have a NEF Pardner in .410, and can verify that the little single shot shotguns do in fact kick pretty stout.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Well my H&R handi-rifle in .308 is on a par with my brothers 7MM Rem Mag and more recoil than my M1 Garand. I think the recoil pad is a good idea, especially if it's a thick one and extends the stock for you making it fit better. I gotta admit I never thought a 2 1/2" shell would have been that noticeable. Could it have been a 3" shell?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I expected this to be a double barrel camp gun vice a single shot where you change the barrels out.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Itorlo64, I would love to find an 22lr/410 over-under for that price!!!!!! My father has the 22/20ga over/under that he loves

OG...yep an #8 2.5" shell. I do have 3" slugs at the house but just had the #8 in the truck.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I think the kick in these rifle/shotgun combos is due more to the pitch of the stock than anything else. They're built on a rifle pitch, which, pretty much, places the barrel, stock, and shoulder in line with each other. All the recoil comes straight back into the shoulder. In the older shotguns, the pitch of the stock was below the barrel line and the recoil made the barrel rise upwards, not directly backwards. This tended to deflect much of the recoil away from the shoulder.

I could be wrong.

The worse recoiling gun I've fired was a NEF 12 ga. slug gun. About 4-5 shots is all I could take at one time. It opened my sinuses up for about a week after.

The factory recoil pads helps alot! Haven't order the scope yet for the 22LR barrel yet but did recieved the scope base and the hammer extension for it. Looks like its going to be a cool little rabbit gun.