Thread: 22LR in 22 WMR Revolvers?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

22LR in 22 WMR Revolvers?

Can you shoot 22 LR out of a 22 WMR revolver? I ask because this months American Rifleman has a article on a new Taurus revolver that is being convertable. It comes with two cylinders, one for 22 LR and one for 22 WMR. I didn't think that the cylinder mattered for shooting 22 LR out of the 22 WMR.

Well, I don't think I can say the same thing differently anymore, so I might as well post this.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

from this SAAMI pdf I am looking at yes but the cases are different... hmmm I'd have to assume it's a lot like shooting 38 spl out of a 357 chamber: doable but it fouls the chamber that make shooting the longer round a PITA afterwards.
    I am no licensed expert though
    Last edited by Sergi762; 10-23-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Answer is yes, Ruger single six has had interchangeable cylinders since 1961 and my brothers centennial model made in 1976 is as accurate as any 22 in the house. Case of the magnum is larger than the standard 22's and you don't want to shoot them in a magnum chamber but the bullet diameter is only .01 or .02" difference depending on whose ammo you buy so they will go down the same barrel without a problem. .

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Can you shoot them out of the same cylinder?

The new taurus has a separate cylinder for .22lr and .22 mag

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Can you shoot them out of the same cylinder?

The new taurus has a separate cylinder for .22lr and .22 mag
    Parent case .22 WRF Bullet diameter .224 in (5.7 mm) Neck diameter .242 in (6.1 mm) Base diameter .242 in (6.1 mm) Rim diameter .294 in (7.5 mm) Rim thickness .050 in (1.3 mm) Case length 1.055 in (26.8 mm) Overall length 1.350 in (34.3 mm)

Parent case .22 Long Case type Rimmed, Straight Bullet diameter .222 in (5.6 mm) Neck diameter .226 in (5.7 mm) Base diameter .226 in (5.7 mm) Rim diameter .278 in (7.1 mm) Rim thickness .043 in (1.1 mm) Case length .613 in (15.6 mm) Overall length 1.000 in (25.4 mm)

Note the parent case, neck diameter and case length in bold. This is why I said you cannot shoot LR's in a magnum chamber and you wouldn't even get a magnum into a LR chamber.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Way back in the 70's I had an H&R 22 magnum, I shot 22lrs out of it almost exclusively. It can be done, you might get case splits and accuracy probably will suffer but it can be done. Back then I did not because 22 mags were too expensive but rather because they hurt my ears Today I would only do it in a emergency situation. BTW in an emergency situation an old trick not to get splits was to wrap a layer of electrical tape around the case (trimmed neatly).

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Parent case .22 WRF Bullet diameter .224 in (5.7 mm) Neck diameter .242 in (6.1 mm) Base diameter .242 in (6.1 mm) Rim diameter .294 in (7.5 mm) Rim thickness .050 in (1.3 mm) Case length 1.055 in (26.8 mm) Overall length 1.350 in (34.3 mm)

Parent case .22 Long Case type Rimmed, Straight Bullet diameter .222 in (5.6 mm) Neck diameter .226 in (5.7 mm) Base diameter .226 in (5.7 mm) Rim diameter .278 in (7.1 mm) Rim thickness .043 in (1.1 mm) Case length .613 in (15.6 mm) Overall length 1.000 in (25.4 mm)

Note the parent case, neck diameter and case length in bold. This is why I said you cannot shoot LR's in a magnum chamber and you wouldn't even get a magnum into a LR chamber.
    Interesting. Learned something new again. Thanks all.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

a loaded .22 LR cartridge can be dropped inside an empty .22 Mag case. I once saw someone mistakenly fire a LR in a Magnum cylinder and the case split.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

A friend of mine had a Marlin .22 magnum bolt action. When he first got he, he fired a few rounds of .22lr. It didn't seem to hurt the gun, but was not as accurate. It might be ok in an emergancy, but I wouldn't shoot .22lr in a magnum gun if I could help it.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WB! View Post
    A friend of mine had a Marlin .22 magnum bolt action. When he first got he, he fired a few rounds of .22lr. It didn't seem to hurt the gun, but was not as accurate. It might be ok in an emergancy, but I wouldn't shoot .22lr in a magnum gun if I could help it.
    What he said!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.