Thread: Just ordered first AK!

Just ordered first AK!

I know the price might be high, but I love the look of this. My first AK and assault rifle. Anything I need to do before I fire it? Thanks for the info on here. Very helpful!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx

Welcome to the board!!!

Beautiful rifle you got there, pics are a must around here.
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Excellent taste in AKM's!!!

And a welcome to the board volunteer!

I doubt it will need it, but a good cleaning before first firing might remove any residual machining residue. Other than that I'd say shoot it and have fun!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

That is one of the nicer of the Saiga conversions! I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

About all I would do is like any new firearm, run a patch or two through the barrel to make sure there are no productions surprises left in the bore. An initial lube of the rails and contact surfaces with a teflon based grease or spray and you are ready to go.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York

Welcome!

Welcome to the group! Yep, clean it good before you shoot it, go have fun.
    So when are you gonna' buy your next one? It's a great addiction.
    Just me and my monkey....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

to the board! Too high? Well, you're getting a high-grade AK, so you're getting what you're paying for... IMHO Most AK's don't have an electroless nickled bolt carrier group and deluxe wood, etc.

And what to do before you shoot it?

Well, study up on gun safety if you haven't done that already... and if you don't have it yet, maybe watch some youtubes on dissasebmly and cleaning of your AK.... helps to learn that before you go to shoot.

Also, might order a quality sight adjustment tool so that you can push your front sight pin left or right as needed to get it zero'd.

Here's a quality one: http://www.magna-matic-defense.com/U...p/akfst-gs.htm

That will last a lifetime and not damage your AK's front sight base. Allows for precise and easy adjustment. It's deluxe like your new AK!

Congrats on your perchase!!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Thanks for all the responses! O.S.O.K - is there a big difference between the sight adjustment tools? I see some are like $5 and the one you mentioned is quite a bit higher. I don't mind paying for a nice one but just want to make sure its necessary. Also, I've seen some magazines that almost look wooden. Can you get those for the 7.62 Ak's ? Is the cleaning kit that comes with the gun all you need to keep it clean? Any other reco's on slings, mags, ammo are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

You get what you pay for in sight adjustment tools. The chicom made $5 versions will break easily. I had a nicer one made by B-Square break eventually too - that was a $25 unit... so yeah, there's a huge difference between them. That one I'm highlighting is made by an honest to God tool company. It's on sale for $56 too - a very good deal for that quality of tool. IMHO

The mags that you are seeing are made of a mterial called "bakelite" and can be found in 7.62x39 caliber yes, but very hard to find. Most are going to be AK-74 mags (5.45x39).

You will find that most here will recommend sticking with the steel eastern block mags or the Bulgarian polymer mags with steel inserts.

If you want an "authentic" sling for your AK then go with a standard Russian AK sling -these are tan colored with snap end.

Here is the only one I could find - not our favorite vendor but they have them available... http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=318&page=1

Ammo... I recommend just picking one brand and sticking with it so that you don't have to be constantly changing your sights to re-zero. Each brand will shoot to a slightly different point of impact - a little higher, lower or left/right of each other.

Nothing wrong with the ever-available Wolf and they are a site sponsor! I have a lot of Wolf and would be very happy to have all Wolf fmj. The standard bullet weight is 123 grains. Other brands are also good - you will find mostly steel-cased Russian manufactured ammo but there's also brass cased Yugoslavian which is excellent ammo but is corrosively primed - which means cleaning your run with water after shooting to desolve the salts before drying and cleaning as normal with solvents.

Many only use the non-corrosive ammos and don't bother clearning but every so often - only adding a bit of lube every so often...

The American and other comercial ammo is good stuff but a lot more expensive than the milsurp and milsurp-type stuff.

These guns were designed to shoot the steel cased Russian ammo, so to me, that's the stuff to use.

Cleaning - you can certainly use your kit included but I would suggest getting a 30 calibe bore snake, tooth brush and some CLP. That will keep your AK running just fine. Of course, this is assuming you don't go with corrosive-primed ammo - in that case, then just get a standard rifle cleaning kit.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 03-09-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Great info. Thanks so much. I'll post back more when I get it!

For cleaning, I have been using the Otis pull through wire, cotton patches and Hoppes 9 spiked with a little Ammonia. After running enough Hoppes saturated patches through, I follow with a dry patch, then a patch soaked with Break-free CLP. Amazing how much more comes out with that patch. Followed with dry and ready to go.

The rest of the AK variant gets wiped down with a CLP coated patch, or usually a quality paper towel. The CLP leaves a good teflon base to help lube thing.

Also, I run a patch backed by a wad of paper towel through the gas tube to get it cleaned out, followed by dry. You don't want to leave any extra oils in the gas tube as it will just allow it to get dirtier faster.

Is rem oil the same as clp?

No, rem-oil is different. I have both, and the Break-free CLP does a much better job of cleaning as well as putting on a better protective coating.

Rem-oil isn't bad, just doesn't seem to be as effective as CLP.

New AK arrived!

Just picked it up from the dealer yesterday afternoon. It looks exactly like the pic above by OSOK. Wow, this thing is BEAUTIFUL! Really, I didn't even want to put the sling on it because I didn't want to scratch the metal! The wood is spectacular - almost looks like cherry. I'm not even sure I want to shoot this thing.

Thanks to all for the info, etc. Much appreciated!
    Last edited by volunteer; 03-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by volunteer View Post
    Just picked it up from the dealer yesterday afternoon. It looks exactly like the pic above by OSOK. Wow, this thing is BEAUTIFUL! Really, I didn't even want to put the sling on it because I didn't want to scratch the metal! The wood is spectacular - almost looks like cherry. I'm not even sure I want to shoot this thing.

Thanks to all for the info, etc. Much appreciated!
    Awesome! Might be a good idea to not shoot it, because once you do, you won't be able to quit!

I hope you greatly enjoy your new rifle.
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Nice knowing you are as happy with it as you thought. Time to put holes in paper!

my AK Siaga should come in today

I am anxious to get my new tactical Siaga .. and wanted to say Hi to everyone .. hope i uploaded a pic of it properly
    Attached Images Attached Images

new Siaga AK 47 tactical

wanted to take this opportunity to say hello ... I just got my new Siaga AK47 tactical today... now i have to learn all about it.. no manual came with it.. hopefully this weekend i can go burn some ammo..

I, too think you have a real beauty! Congrats on your new baby.

Wow, that's nice. I would honestly trade my SGL21 for one of those. For lube, I use synthetic motor oil (Royal Purple) and/or Tetra grease.

Quote Originally Posted by BlenderWizard View Post
    Wow, that's nice. I would honestly trade my SGL21 for one of those. For lube, I use synthetic motor oil (Royal Purple) and/or Tetra grease.
    It's nice, not sure if I would trade my SGL21 for it (I'd be afraid to scratch his up! lol), but it's fucking nice.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton