Thread: .38 Super

.38 Super

Got me a new pistol the other day. A good buddy of mine bought a collection of guns. I got first pick. I had put aside one of these. A Auto ordinace 1911 in .38 super. Didn't really need to add another but, thought that it was neat. Finally got around to picking it up. Ended up putting 50 rounds through it.

It has a little more omph that a 9mm.

Came with some ammo and extra mags.

I also put my name on a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10 mm. My freind couldn't find it. He also couldn't find a .44 mag either. He was distressed about that. Because the last people to look at the guns for sale were two local police officers. (that is another story in itself though.)

Also, we were at his farm and took the 10/22, and walther p22. The day before, my son and his buddies had an airsoft war. My son got hit in the face. Didn't have eye protection on. I was at work, and scolded him severely for it.

Well, while we were at the farm, made sure that we both had ear and eyes on. Well, first mag into the p22, a spent case landed in between my son's glasses and his forehead. Got a good burn from that one. I told him that stuff can happen even when you plan ahead and are being carefull.

It has scabbed over today, we have been putting antibiotic on it.
    Last edited by El Duce; 03-13-2012 at 03:50 PM.

wow nice score + the ammo.

These shoot flat out to like 135 yards and hit like a hammer.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

He has another one, but not quite as nice. I did take all the ammo though. Most is silver tip. More "defense" ammo than I need. But the price was right. I was hitting pie plates at 35 yards no problem.

The downside to the 38 super has always been finding the ammo, since you got that licked I'd say you're GTG
    Last edited by mriddick; 03-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    The downside to the 38 super has always been finding the ammo, since you got that licked I'd say you're GTG
    This isn't going to be a plinker gun. Like I said. I didn't really need it. The gun just called to me. Just wish that I could have picked up the 10 mm as well.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

.38 Super is in the .357 Sig class of bullet speed and energy. Kind of similar to 9 mm Largo. It's a good cartridge that never caught on widely but never died out exactly either. You should save your brass and reload for that puppy. Good score.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Nice, i've always wanted a .38 super. The prices on those boxes of ammo go back about 20 years. Too bad about the dan wesson,my 10mm CBOB is my favorite 1911.

That was a close one on your son, glad it wasn't worse....it's a battle scar he will be proud of

Oh man I have always wanted a super. If it was mine it'd be the nightstand gun stoked with evil hollerpoints that release petals of death rotating and rotating into the perp. Glad that Jr is healing too!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Everyone's different but I especially like your pistol cause it's not pimp chrome. Maybe three years ago I decided I just had to have a .38 Super not chrome. After looking, really looking for six months, I bought anew on.....blued olf course.

Wart

BTW, the .38 Super was developed to get around Mexican import laws....if my memory is correct.

I also put my name on a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10 mm.
    And a 10mm is my next 'lust'.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    Everyone's different but I especially like your pistol cause it's not pimp chrome. Maybe three years ago I decided I just had to have a .38 Super not chrome. After looking, really looking for six months, I bought anew on.....blued olf course.

Wart

BTW, the .38 Super was developed to get around Mexican import laws....if my memory is correct.
    Found it:

It is maybe because of the Mexican restrictions that the .38 Super +P did not fade away, as more powerful guns were being developed in the USA and hence was ideal to be depicted by Colt on the anniversary La Patria model.

The .38 Super +P was very popular in Mexico, Central, and South America where it was the most powerful pistol cartridge available to civilians, that was not a military cartridge. Mexico adopted the .45ACP for their police and military, and thereafter banned all private citizens from owning .45ACP caliber firearms, thus the .38 Super +P was the Mexican civilians gun of choice.

And a 10mm is my next 'lust'.

Wart
    Wart. I went to his place with the intention of bringing it home. He couldn't find it. My buddy does have a memory problem. But it was a nice looking pistol. Hope that he does find it!

You can see it in the lower right hand corner of the pic. Underneath the cz52.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Wart. I went to his place with the intention of bringing it home. He couldn't find it. My buddy does have a memory problem. But it was a nice looking pistol. Hope that he does find it!

You can see it in the lower right hand corner of the pic. Underneath the cz52.

I really hope he finds the pistol for both your sake and his. 10mm is a good addition for most of us.

Not a chromed gun in the bunch.......I like that. (I think of guns as utilitarian......as tools.)

Wart

Oh...back to the .38 Super for a moment....it's not .38 caliber....

Another pic.

(These not mine. But I will admit to owning a shiney gun or two.)

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Wart

It may have been popular in Mexico due to the .45 ACP restriction but it was an improved vesion of the .38 ACP (circa 1920) which in turn was developed to give police greater penetration against automobile sheet metal and early bullet proof vests. The +P designation wasn't added until 1974.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Another pic.

(These not mine. But I will admit to owning a shiney gun or two.)
    Nice, I see a Ruger Old Army Cap N Ball Revolver. Always wanted one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    It may have been popular in Mexico due to the .45 ACP restriction but it was an improved vesion of the .38 ACP (circa 1920) which in turn was developed to give police greater penetration against automobile sheet metal and early bullet proof vests. The +P designation wasn't added until 1974.
    Agree.

Wart

El D.....if you get that 10mm please post a pic.

Wart