Thread: Need Some Barrel Pin Advice

Need Some Barrel Pin Advice

So I'm almost done with my Franken-Yugo. Got all the parts put together, everything this is as it should be. Almost.

Can't the $%^&Z% thing to headspace. Everything fits right: top cover, handguards, the whole shebang.

Funny thing, I lack just a skosh of it being right. I need to push the barrel back out to get the headspace, but I've never done an oversize pin before. I've got a .315 diameter pin from AK Builder, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

Any of you home builder dudes done one?

Any tips, pointers, what-not-to-dos I need to know about?
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

the bbl is stopping the bolt from entering the trunnion, i think its more than a "skoch" that you need. you are using gauges, right?

other than that, no, ive never had to do that to headspace, but i have accidentally seated the bbl a bit too deep. what i did was to take a large long brass punch. set the receiver up so that it is set very solidly, and set the punch on as square as you can. carefully, and very solidly and deliberately give it a whack with a large hammer.

not the safest way, you have to be careful in setting it up so you dont hit anything you dont want to, but not having anything specifically to do it, it got the job done, and moved my bbl the few thou it needed.

id also be interested to hear other better solutions ppl might have, other than specialized jigs. i know i could build a jig for it, but its not something that is so common to be worth the time to make it.

Oh, yeah I've got Go/No Go gages and use them religiously. There is no difference with the Go gage or without, that bolt won't close. I need to push the barrel out to get headspace. That's the given. The problem is, when I do, the slot in the barrel for the pin and the hole in the trunion for it, won't align. I've got to redrill for an oversized pin, but I'm not entirely sure or certain how to go about doing so.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

From what I remember, once you get the headspace set just drill the barrel and drive the new pin in. I feel for you. I never had that problem and hope I never do! Good luck!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

yup, just let the drill bit self align on the existing hole and ream it out. dont put any excessive force on the drill in any sideways direction and youll be fine.