Thread: P22 W/ Suppressor. Sugggestions?

P22 W/ Suppressor. Sugggestions?

I am looking at getting a Walther P22 and a suppressor as my first NFA item.

For the threads, do I just buy a threaded barrel and pop on he suppressor or wha?

Also I was looking at a AAC Pilot suppressor. Is there a same quality, take apart suppressor out there for a better price?
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

The Walther P22 has a threaded barrel extension that accepts a silencer. It's really a cool setup the way they do it. If you have not purchased your P22 make sure it comes with the extension when you buy it. You may want to consider Liberty for you silencer, or Thompson Machine. I believe both make user servicable silencers now. You really do want a user servicable 22 silencer because 22 ammo is very dirty and will shed lots of lead and lube in the silencer.

Now the bad part. Walther P22's are known to break - as in the slide will bread into two peaces. It is made zinc, IIRC, and very brittle. It is not a matter of if, but when. Usually after many thousand rounds but some have reported only a few hundred rounds before failure. Walther, as far as I recall, has stood behind their pistol and repaired every one. But it's still a pain in the ass when it happens. I would highly recommend a Ruger MkII of some kind.

One last note. Be prepared for the purchase of your next silencer, they are very addictive.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Well I guess that kills the P22 for me, I will not own a disposable gun. How would I go about getting the barrel for a mkll threaded?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

I have a Yankee Hill Stainless Mite on my P22.
    My Ruger MKIII 22/45 in an integral Gemtec Oasis.
    All lots-o-fun.

...I even use my Mite on a Kel-Tec SU-22...

видеодон

I own a P22 and a Tac-65.

The P-22 does NOT come with a threaded barrel extension, but its somethng that can be purchased anywhere and then you just unthread of the end of the barrel and thread this on.

I would say stay away from the P-22 unless you have small girl hands because the grip is very small.

I would suggest the Sig Mosquito as its still a normal looking semi auto pistol.
    If you want a gun that you can do nothing else with ( as far as accessories) BUT is EXTREMELY accurate, THEN I would suggest the Ruger Mk series. BUT you will have to find a whole barrel that is threaded OR look for one already threaded OR find a company that sells a intergral suppressed receiver.

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I own a P22 and a Tac-65.

The P-22 does NOT come with a threaded barrel extension, but its somethng that can be purchased anywhere and then you just unthread of the end of the barrel and thread this on.

I would say stay away from the P-22 unless you have small girl hands because the grip is very small.

I would suggest the Sig Mosquito as its still a normal looking semi auto pistol.
    If you want a gun that you can do nothing else with ( as far as accessories) BUT is EXTREMELY accurate, THEN I would suggest the Ruger Mk series. BUT you will have to find a whole barrel that is threaded OR look for one already threaded OR find a company that sells a intergral suppressed receiver.

BISHOP
    Hummm, my mistake on the barrel extension. It was my understanding that it was optional equipment, sorry about that.

I'm not sure about where to send you on the threading issue (I do my own). I recall reading on silencertalk about various people that can do a great job - will even through in a thread protector. If you find someone local make sure that they understand that the ruger is known for having the bore not in "perfect" (read sloppy) alignment with the outside of the barrel, so indexing will have to be done on the bore. Also, some silencers have a different depth for threading than others so make sure you get the threading specs from the silencer manufacture - and that the person you have do the threading can actually read them.

As was mentioned above, an intagral is also an option. All my Form 1 builds have been intagrals. I just like the extra volume that they give. The big advantage of a screw on can though, is that you can use it on multiple hosts - like a 10-22.

Here's the one I built:

Buds has a Ruger MK2 i think and it looks like it has a threaded barrel. Am I wrong?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/74663

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Buds has a Ruger MK2 i think and it looks like it has a threaded barrel. Am I wrong?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/74663
    I think that's a Mk III 22-45. It's getting hard to find a "new" MkII. The Mk III has lawyer safety crap on it but I understand it's easy to fix those. (Magazine safety is a pain and the loaded chamber indicator has been know to cause reliability issues) The picture shows a threaded barrel with a thread protector on it but you'll need to verify it because they have this disclaimer under the picture:
    *Please Note!! Many of our pictures are stock photo's provided to us by the manufacturer and do not necessarily represent the actual item being purchased. Please verify this picture accurately reflects the product described by the title and description on this page before you place your order.

The p22 is a worthless piece of inaccurate junk that beats its own slide to death (slide is made out of zinc or some other shit pot metal). I absolutely hate mine and am planning on giving it away next month so I don't have to look at it anymore. It groups like a pie plate at 15ft, is super ammo picky, doesn't like to be dirty, and is sized for oompa loompas and leprichauns.

I got mine when I bought my tac65. I love the tac65. I currently shoot it on a tac sol 2211 upper for my 1911.

The mosquito is also an ammo sensitive little bastard. I've never seen one cycle reliably with subsonics. Only with stingers, minimags, and velocitor type ammo. A least the mosquito is close to being human hand sized.

I really wish the cz kadet uppers came with a threaded barrel. My wife's kadet kit is the most reliable 22 pistol ive shot yet.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    The Walther P22 has a threaded barrel extension that accepts a silencer. It's really a cool setup the way they do it. If you have not purchased your P22 make sure it comes with the extension when you buy it. You may want to consider Liberty for you silencer, or Thompson Machine. I believe both make user servicable silencers now. You really do want a user servicable 22 silencer because 22 ammo is very dirty and will shed lots of lead and lube in the silencer.

Now the bad part. Walther P22's are known to break - as in the slide will bread into two peaces. It is made zinc, IIRC, and very brittle. It is not a matter of if, but when. Usually after many thousand rounds but some have reported only a few hundred rounds before failure. Walther, as far as I recall, has stood behind their pistol and repaired every one. But it's still a pain in the ass when it happens. I would highly recommend a Ruger MkII of some kind.

One last note. Be prepared for the purchase of your next silencer, they are very addictive.
    Walter has repaired every one for a price. I think its somewhere around $75 for a new slide. Mine hasn't cracked yet, but has serious mushrooming on a few areas.
    Thats being a 2nd owner. Hopefully they are doing no charge warranty replacements for 1st owners.
    Last edited by Integratedj; 03-22-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

I went with a MKIII 22/45. Installed a Volquartzen trigger kit and disabled the magazine safety. Also put in a Majestic speed strip kit and added new grips. Comes with a threaded barrel. Have been using it with a Thompson Machine Poseidon suppressor. Currently waiting for the Form 4 to clear for a Liberty Kodiak suppressor. This Ruger is a joy to shoot.

If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Also I was looking at a AAC Pilot suppressor. Is there a same quality, take apart suppressor out there for a better price?
    Look at the Huntertwon Arms .22 Guardian.

They are user servicable, as quiet as any out there and have a lifetime guarantee.
    They run around 200 bucks.

I've have over 3000 rounds through mine and it does great.

Who makes the 22/45 grips on your pistol?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

As others have posted forget the P-22. It is tiny like they say, feels like a water pistol. I have a Sig Mosquito that I like. The AAC Pilots now are take apart capable, the one I have is sealed. I think the YHM Mite is equal to it in suppression and it is a lot cheaper.

The Ruger adivise is sound. I think they are going to be your most accurate .22 LR handgun option. The sig though enjoyable, looks good and doesn't feel like a toy isn't super accurate. About 4 inches is all I'm getting at 25 yards. I am less than impressedon with that aspect of it. I purchased it on an impulse more or less as it had a factory threaded barrel. Thing is the suppressor required an thread pattern the barrel doesn't come with so an intermediate adapter was needed to be purchased $45 bucks, to make it so it could take the AAC Pilot.

Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-28-2012 at 03:14 AM.