Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OLD GRUMPS CARRY GUN CHALLENGE

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Those are great targets. Mine won't be nearly as good. I will try to get them up within the next 7 days. I will even post the targets this time, just don't drink coffee when you open the thread.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    That's okay, all of mine won't be like that either, I cherry picked these guns today. When I finish all my holster guns I will just pick my most often carried guns for the rest of the years shoots. The biggest thing is shaking off the rust and making yourself get out to shoot.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I was shooting indoors.

Glock 19, using 115 gr FMJ, CCI Blazer.

Springfield GI Issue 1911, 230 gr, FMJ, UMC.

I like my 1911 so much and I shoot so horribly with it. I completely missed the target 4 times. After shooting the targets I did spend some more time with both pistols. With the Glock I was able to get a more centered grouping but it was still spread out too much.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Nothing wrong there, you stopped the bad guy twice. When I was shooting the qualifying matches at the battalion level to try and get to the 5th army level we were not allowed to use match weapons. The only 45 in the armory was from WWII and at 25 yards I was lucky to get 7 shots on paper, never mind the scoring ring. Sometimes it isn't the shooter but the gun. Our sister company had (4) 45's and they mixed and matched components till they had one good one and one mediocre one and 2 like mine. Our entire squad shared those two guns and I got 3 of my people and 2 of theirs to 5th army level. A new bushing might help and a little slide tightening. Easy fix for your gunsmith if you aren't comfortable doing it. I'm glad you participated and next month will be better.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Forgot to put in my scores.

9mm
    10 -
    9 -
    8 - 2
    7 - 5
    -1 - -3
    Total - 48

.45 ACP
    10 -
    9 - 2
    8 - 3
    7 - 1
    -1 - -4
    Total - 45

NRA Endowment Member

James 01 Challenge Match Targets

S&W M41 22 cal

JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall .357

Colt Mk IV 45 ACP

Shot 4/28/12 1300 hrs, 40 F, wind 7mph from north west in our face. It had been raining but slowed down to occasional drizzle.

First time he has shot his guns except for the 45 in at least 3 years or more.

THUCYDIDES.

Grump, I won't be able to shoot for the next few months. I was hoping I could shoot this month but my last underway got extended by a week, which cut out the time I was going to use at the range. Thanks for the challenge. Lookkng forward to the next one.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Grump, I won't be able to shoot for the next few months. I was hoping I could shoot this month but my last underway got extended by a week, which cut out the time I was going to use at the range. Thanks for the challenge. Lookkng forward to the next one.
    Well shucky darn. On the bright side if nobody else enters this month I win by default. De fault of all dem people what say they got guns but don't want nobody to see how they shoot dem guns.

A week left to prove me wrong all you shooters out there, shoot my pants off, humiliate me, I shot by the rules, pulled the gun, shot 10 times, no warm up no sighters just let it all hang out just like you would if the flag went up and you actually had to use what you are carrying on you.

This is what I shot, A Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum, a Ruger P94 9MM, and an old H&R 922 revolver, it aint much but it taught me how to shoot a handgun.

This what I shot at, 3 targets set up on a box at 15 yards with 2 gallon jugs of water holding it down in the wind I had to contend with.

And these are the targets up close and personal so you can see all the warts and blemishes. Not exactly match quality but I wasn't shooting target guns, these were rabbit getter, deer getter and bump in the night gun.

Just between you and me I am glad I am almost out of 180 gr 44 mag. After the first 4 shots I had to put on my shooting glove. The skin on my middle finger knuckle should be healed in a few days. That stuff is brutal. From now on I stick with 240 gr. or 300 gr.

THUCYDIDES.

It is time for the July Targets for the Challenge match

Yup, it's still on. Down to 83 so I thought I would shoot while it was still cool. My timing was a little off and by the time I got my guns out and the targets set up it was 95 and my nice light from the overcast sky turned to blinding bright light. Put on my sun glasses and shot anyway. Considering some of my other targets I should have gone to sunglasses a couple of months ago.

So here I am, shooting 2 handed from a Weaver stance as fast as I could shoot and this is what I got from my 3 favorite carry guns.

Come on shooters, get out there with a gun and shoot something. We are a gun board right? You just need a gun whose caliber starts with a 2 or 3 or 4 and a holster to carry the gun around in, 15 yards, this target and 10 rounds of ammo.

THUCYDIDES.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

How did I not know about this thread?

I'll participate in the 3 match and the 4 match if I can compete for a single month.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

I'll participate in the 3 match and the 4 match if I can compete for a single month.
    You weren't around enough to see it and to few people have been posting targets so it didn't stay up front where people could see it. This has been going since March but the problem is getting shooters to actually shoot. Post whatever and whenever you can, no prizes it's just to get us to see how we would shoot our carry gun if we needed to.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

Seeing as only two of us have been shooting, I don't have a problem with you shooting. It is all for fun anyway. I am going to try to get to the range one more time to do this. I had thought it was over.

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

since this thread was bumped up, ill post a target later.

a friend said his gun sites were way off because he couldnt get it on paper at 20'. i set a target out at 12-13yds (a little short of the 15) and shot 11 rnds (had an 11 rnd mag), so not exactly within the rules, but close. at least it will get a little action in the thread.

almost got all the shots in one hole. yeah, bad news, its not your sights....

Alot of people don't seem to be able to use open sights anymore. This is a problem with handguns as very few have optics.

NRA Endowment Member

Optics aren't disallowed, the only rule is the gun must be carried in a holster. I found optics only helpo those with bad eyes or the really gifted shooter who could use a wee bit of an edge. 15 yards isn't really optics range but if somebody really wants to they can shoot a glassed gun.

THUCYDIDES.

It is August, time for those of you who actually shoot guns and not just talk about them to turn in your August targets, You still have 3 weeks so that should give even the procrastinators time to shoot a gun...outside....at 15 yards...at a target...and post it.

My brand new to me 1980 model single six with the magnum cylinder installed. Shot CCI WMR Maxi Mags 40 gr FMJ. 1500 hours shooting into the sun but only 82 degrees and just a mild 6 mph wind coming from behind my left shoulder. Only the 2nd time I shot this gun and I was well pleased with the results, hopefully it will do me well when I take it out to 100 yards. My score was a 90

Next up my Dan Wesson .357 shooting Remington 38 spcl., 130 gr, FMJ target ammo. My score was 97, I really like these little bullets in this gun. Makes a great rabbit round out to about 40 yards, after that my old eyes have trouble getting rabbit and sights lined up. My score was a 97

Last but not least, certainly not least I unleashed the monster. My S&W model 58 41 magnum with the fixed sights. It actually shoots closer to point of aim at 60 yards then it does at 15 yards and not that much larger a group. Remington 210 gr JSP was the ammo today. I held a 6 O'clock hold on the bullseye today but when shooting at silhouette targets at 25 yards I generally aim for where the right eyebrow would be and that puts my rounds into the middle of the face. A right breast shot gives me a center of the chest shot at 50 yards. My score was a 79

THUCYDIDES.

Won't be able to participate until October. The CO gets mad when I try to bring my weapons on the ship.

I took my daugher out and shot a Taurus revolver. She really enjoyed it and shot well with it. Not as well as with my CZ 82, but she is not excited about taking a gun apart to clean it and the revolver can be cleaned without disassembly. She has started hinting that when she graduates from college she would like a gun of some sort. I think I raised her right. My wife thinks I have warped her mind.

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I forgot about this again. I'll go out tomorrow and shoot the 3 challenge and the 4 challenge.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Not part of the challenge but I was having some 100 yard fun. Shot up a whole box of 41 Magnums in a fit of madness and this was the result, my last 5 rounds out of the box went into this target.

Since the sights are fixed but so close at close range I don't want to mess with the gun I have to aim 8" left of the target. I did it by putting up a 50 yard bullseye target next to the 100 yard target and shot at that. I also tried my new single six with the magnums and had a nice group but every round was just above the target paper in the target frame. I may have to rethink my plans on using that gun for a long range target gun.

44 magnum and 45 ACP were a little better.

THUCYDIDES.

OLD GRUMPS SEPTEMBER CARRY GUN CHALLENGE

THUCYDIDES.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast